One Bowl Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread is a super moist, 100% whole grain treat packed with chocolate goodness! Great for breakfast or dessert. Readers adore this 5-star recipe: "I have baked many vegan breads and this is the best texture I have ever eaten!"
I made three loaves of this before I was happy enough to share the recipe. I won't be grating another zucchini for a hot minute, I'll tell ya that! A twist on my incredible Vegan Banana Bread, you're going to be obsessed.
This epic loaf is double chocolatey (hi, cocoa powder and chocolate chips), perfectly sweet, super moist from the banana and coconut oil, and crazy satisfying. Don't miss all my Healthy Banana Recipes!
- Whole wheat pastry flour: For extra fluff! I love using this flour in quick breads because it gives you the 100% whole grain benefit including fiber, antioxidants, and energizing vitamins without the super "wheaty" taste of whole grain flour. White whole wheat flour also works.
- Bananas: Extra ripe bananas for lots of banana loaf flavor.
- Zucchini: Plenty of unpeeled zucchini for moisture and veggies.
- Cocoa powder: Extra chocolate flavor. I used the unsweetened baking kind, but I've also tested these with raw cacao powder and they were delish.
- Sugar: I tested this with ½ cup sugar and I didn't find it sweet enough, even without having a huge sweet tooth. I thought ¾ cup was perfect!
- Coconut oil: Adds flavor, moisture and richness.
- Vanilla extract: To enhance the chocolate flavor ever more.
- Salt: Key for flavor and helps bring out the sweetness.
- Baking soda: For proper rising.
- Chocolate chips: For double chocolate goodness!
How to make chocolate zucchini banana bread
- Make a flax egg. Add wet ingredients--banana, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients--whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and BAKE!
- Use very overripe bananas, like talking mega brown and spotty. We need that sweetness to counteract the bitterness in the cocoa.
- Use whole wheat pastry flour for fluffiness and extra fiber. You can also use all purpose flour, all purpose gluten-free flour, or check out this Almond Flour Chocolate Banana Bread.
- Go double chocolate! We’re using both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. You could add a teaspoon of instant coffee or espresso if you want to enhance the chocolate even more.
- Add zucchini for moisture. No need to squeeze out the liquid!
- Don't reduce the sugar! Cocoa powder is bitter, which is why this recipe calls for more sugar than my other breads.
Why is my banana bread gummy?
Be sure not to over-mix to retain a nice light texture. Overworking the gluten can make it gummy!
How to store
The best place to store the bread is on the countertop in an air-tight container for up to four days. If you still have some left, you can store in the fridge for up to a week and microwave before serving.
To freeze, simply wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to four months. You can thaw it on the counter when you’re ready to eat.
More banana bread recipes to love
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chai-Spiced Carrot Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
- Healthy Pumpkin Gingerbread with Maple Glaze
Who else has mad love for baking?! LOVE YOU AND LOVE THIS LOVELY LOAF.Print
One Bowl Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread is a super moist, 100% whole grain treat packed with chocolate goodness! Great for breakfast or dessert. Readers adore this recipe: " I have baked many vegan breads and this is the best texture I have ever eaten!"
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup very overripe mashed banana (about 3 small bananas)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (can sub avocado or canola oil)
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup grated zucchini, packed (don't squeeze water out)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour (can sub all purpose)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together flax and water in a large mixing bowl and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- To the same bowl, add banana, melted coconut oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini. Stir to combine.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until combined, being careful not to over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into pan and top with additional chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for at least 20 minutes on a wire rack before slicing. Store cooled bread in an air-tight container on the counter or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.
*You can also use all purpose flour, all purpose gluten-free flour, or check out this Almond Flour Chocolate Banana Bread.
TO FREEZE: Wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to four months. You can thaw it on the counter when you’re ready to eat.