The Best Vegan Lasagna is an amazing meatless, dairy-free lasagna packed with a hummus tofu ricotta that’ll please any carnivore!
This is one those “there’s no way in hell that’s vegan” moments. THE MOST MOMENTOUS OF MOMENTS.
It was a proud, proud moment when my carnivorous boyf and I first sank our teeth into this luscious, best ever easy vegan lasagna. The truth is that I’ve been making a version of this delicacy for years, and if you’re a loooooong time Hummusapien reader, you remember. My Skinny Vegan Lasagna straight outta the Dark Ages, of course! The photos in that blog post….I simply cannot.
Then there were the Summer Vegetable Lasagna Rolls. Because isn’t everything more fun when it’s all portioned out?
Now we’re back to the good ol’ casserole version. The old favorite. I don’t know how or why or where or when or what but the combination of garlic hummus and tofu and nutritional yeast is SO much like ricotta that it’s honestly bizarre. Uncanny. Bombastical. Like it tastes more like ricotta than ricotta does. Is that a thing?
Many mouths have enjoyed (and that’s a vast understatement) this best vegan lasagna. I 100% guarantee that you could serve this to meat mongers and die-hard dairy fans and they would lick their plates! Aaaaaand ask for thirds.
I use local Oasis roasted garlic hummus, a whole 40oz jar of my favorite Rao’s marinara from Costco (I love sauce!!), and either whole grain lasagna noodles or these lentil noodles, but there’s lots to play around with here. If your kids hate mushrooms or spinach, leave it out. If they won’t go within ten feet of anything whole grain, use regular noodles (or brown rice noodles for gluten-free!).
Sadly, this vegan lasagna recipe will not work without tofu (I’ve had this press for years and it’s the best), hummus, and nutritional yeast. You can purchase nutritional yeast at most grocery stores in the natural section so I assume they have it at most other grocery chains. It really helps with that cheesy flavor, not to mention that’s it’s high in plant-powered protein and energizing B vitamins. Heyyoooo remember that I’m a dietitian? I forget sometimes, too.
The nutrition stats on this best vegan lasagna are off the wall awesome. This is one HEALTHY lasagna! One big slice has a whopping 17 grams of plant-powered protein. Amazing!
Tis the season of Spring thus the season of peas! I snuck some extra green into this gorgeous and super easy vegan lasagna but it tasted just as fantastic without them.
I’m so, so, so freaking exited for you to try this!!Print
This Best Vegan Lasagna is an amazing meatless, dairy-free lasagna packed with a hummus tofu ricotta that’ll please any carnivore! You’d never guess it wasn’t packed with cheese.
For the lasagna:
- 12 whole grain lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 8oz pkg sliced mushrooms
- 12oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
- 5-10 cups marinara sauce (I like mine saucy!)
For the tofu ricotta:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook just until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add zucchini, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and peas and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Place drained tofu in a large bowl. Crumble with hands. Add hummus, nutritional yeast, basil, salt, and garlic powder. Stir together with your hands until it’s semi-smooth and resembles ricotta.
- Place about 1 1/2 cups of marinara in the bottom of a 9x13in baking dish. Top with 4 noodles (3 lengthwise and 1 widthwise to cover the gap at the end). Next add half of the ricotta mixture and half of the vegetable mixture. Top with a heaping 1 1/2 cups or more of sauce. Repeat with more noodles, tofu mixture, and veggies. Then top with one last layer of noodles and another 1 1/2 cups or more of sauce; I went heavy on the sauce because I love sauce! Top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.