Smoky sweet potatoes, crispy chickpeas, and perfectly roasted Brussels sprouts with delicious tahini honey mustard make the ultimate roasted veggie bowl! This flavorful, nutrient-packed vegetarian meal is perfect for meal prep lunches or hearty dinners. Packed with over 18g plant protein, 17g fiber, and plenty of heart-healthy fats! Gluten free.
Oh hi hello, it's your local bowl queen calling with another stupendous veggie fest for your face.
We did it before with my Vegan Buddha Bowls, Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowls with Mango Tahini Sauce, and Curried Cauliflower Chickpea Bowls. Veggies + beans + greens + punchy sauce = my kinda lunch heaven.
It's far from a complex formula, but trust me--when packed with mountains on mountains of flavor, the end result is downright drool-worthy. Because you deserve a noteworthy lunch, ok? Ok.
How to make yummy vegetable bowls (step-by-step instructions)
It's easy, I promise! We're seasoning sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and Brussels sprouts with a zesty mix of spices and oil then roasting until they're nice and caramelized.
Make a batch of brown rice while they roast and whisk together the punchy honey mustard and voila, done! Sweet, savory, smoky, and a little spicy. Kinda like a hot honey vibe, ya know?
Tips for the best roasted veggies
- Make sure veggies are in a single layer and aren't touching. Use multiple baking sheets!
- Don't be afraid of oil. Oil helps encourage that yummy browning.
- Roast right on the baking sheet. The direct contact means more flavor.
- Go high heat. We're roasting at 425 degrees!
What makes this bowl healthy?
As a nutrition professional, I love that these power bowls are absolutely brimming with vitamins, antioxidants, plant protein and fiber. Each serving has over 18 grams of protein an 17 grams of filling fiber!
- Sweet potatoes: Loaded with vitamins A, C, and gut-friendly fiber.
- Brussels sprouts: An excellent source of bone-supporting vitamin K. Rich in antioxidants that prevent inflammation.
- Tahini (ground sesame seeds): packed with brain-boosting healthy fats, immune-boosting selenium, phosphorus, and iron.
How to customize
Now, the fun part!
- You can add a tangy cheese like feta or goat cheese to amp up the flavor.
- Feel free to boost the protein with rotisserie chicken or cubed roasted tofu.
- Get crunchy with pepitas or roasted almonds.
- Feeling a different veg? Use what you have! Just adjust the cooking time if needed. Broccoli or cauliflower would be great in place of Brussels, just cook for less time.
- Swap sweet potato for butternut squash if you fancy.
- Not a chickpea fan? Omit them or try drained and pressed tofu instead!
Shortcuts to cut down prep time
Use frozen brown rice or pre-packaged cooked rice. Look for pre-chopped Brussels. sprouts.
You could even use a store bought honey mustard and stir in some tahini!
Tips for storing leftovers
I recommend storing all the components separately in glass air-tight containers (rice in one, veggies/sweet potatoes/chickpeas in one, dressing in one). You can thin out the dressing with water if it thickens in the fridge.
The dressing will keep 1-2 weeks. The rice and veggies will keep 4 days. Add avocado right before serving.
I hope you're as obsessed with this fun recipe as I am!
I'd be super grateful if you'd take a moment to leave a quick star rating and review below. Comments mean the world to me and your honest feedback helps me to continue to share recipes you'll crave!Print
Smoky sweet potatoes, crispy chickpeas, and perfectly roasted Brussels sprouts with tahini honey mustard make the ultimate roasted vegetable bowl! This flavorful, nutrient-packed vegetarian meal is perfect for meal prep lunches or hearty dinners. Feel free to make these your own by changing up the veggies, adding feta cheese, hot sauce, pumpkin seeds, etc!
For the bowls:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, woody ends removed and halved*
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, divided
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pinch of cayenne (omit if you don't like spicy)
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice
- Optional (but recommended!) for serving: 1 avocado, thinly sliced romaine or cabbage
For the tahini honey mustard:
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (from 1 small lemon)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp fine fine sea salt + lots of black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp water, as needed to thin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chopped sweet potatoes on one sheet pan. (I find veggies brown best when roasted directly on the pan versus lining it.) Place chickpeas and Brussels on another sheet pan. Remove any outer leaves that came off sprouts as they'll burn. Drizzle each pan with 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp fine sea salt, ½ tsp garlic powder, and a few grinds of black pepper. Sprinkle sweet potato pan with ½ tsp cumin and optional cayenne. Toss to combine.
- Flip Brussels so they’re all cut side down. Bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing each pan halfway through. While they bake, cook rice according to package directions. (I cook 1 ½ cups brown basmati rice in the instant pot).
- Make sauce by whisking together oil, tahini, lemon juice, dijon, honey, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in water as needed to thin until you have a drizzleable sauce. If your tahini is thicker, you’ll need more. It will thicken as it sits. You may have extra dressing. I like to store it in this shaker bottle!
- Assemble bowls by placing a bed of rice at the bottom. Top with chickpeas, Brussels and sweet potatoes. Drizzle with plenty sauce. Garnish with avocado and thinly sliced romaine or cabbage.
Inspired by this delish Sweet Potato Kale Salad
*The outer leaves that come loose when you chop will burn if left on the sheet, so pluck them out and save for later (a quick sauté makes a yummy simple side dish!).
Keywords: vegetable bowl, power bowl