Smoky sweet potatoes, crispy chickpeas, and perfectly roasted Brussels sprouts with tahini honey mustard make the ultimate roasted vegetable bowl! This flavorful, nutrient-packed vegetarian meal is perfect for meal prep lunches or hearty dinners. Feel free to make these your own by changing up the veggies, adding feta cheese, hot sauce, pumpkin seeds, etc!
For the bowls:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, woody ends removed and halved*
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, divided
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch of cayenne (omit if you don't like spicy)
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice
- Optional (but recommended!) for serving: 1 avocado, thinly sliced romaine or cabbage
For the tahini honey mustard:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (from 1 small lemon)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp fine fine sea salt + lots of black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp water, as needed to thin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chopped sweet potatoes on one sheet pan. (I find veggies brown best when roasted directly on the pan versus lining it.) Place chickpeas and Brussels on another sheet pan. Remove any outer leaves that came off sprouts as they'll burn. Drizzle each pan with 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and a few grinds of black pepper. Sprinkle sweet potato pan with 1/2 tsp cumin and optional cayenne. Toss to combine.
- Flip Brussels so they’re all cut side down. Bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing each pan halfway through. While they bake, cook rice according to package directions. (I cook 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice in the instant pot).
- Make sauce by whisking together oil, tahini, lemon juice, dijon, honey, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in water as needed to thin until you have a drizzleable sauce. If your tahini is thicker, you’ll need more. It will thicken as it sits. You may have extra dressing. I like to store it in this shaker bottle!
- Assemble bowls by placing a bed of rice at the bottom. Top with chickpeas, Brussels and sweet potatoes. Drizzle with plenty sauce. Garnish with avocado and thinly sliced romaine or cabbage.
Inspired by this delish Sweet Potato Kale Salad
*The outer leaves that come loose when you chop will burn if left on the sheet, so pluck them out and save for later (a quick sauté makes a yummy simple side dish!).
Keywords: vegetable bowl, power bowl