This Best Vegan Lasagna is an amazing meatless, dairy-free lasagna packed with a hummus tofu ricotta that’ll please any carnivore! You’d never guess it wasn’t packed with cheese.
For the lasagna:
- 12 whole grain lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 8oz pkg sliced mushrooms
- 12oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
- 7–10 cups marinara sauce (2-25oz jars, I like mine saucy!)
For the tofu ricotta:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook just until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add zucchini, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and peas and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Place drained tofu in a large bowl. Crumble with hands. Add hummus, nutritional yeast, basil, salt, and garlic powder. Stir together with your hands until it’s semi-smooth and resembles ricotta.
- Place about 1 1/2 cups of marinara in the bottom of a 9x13in baking dish. Top with 4 noodles (3 lengthwise and 1 widthwise to cover the gap at the end). Next add half of the ricotta mixture and half of the vegetable mixture. Top with a heaping 1 1/2 cups or more of sauce. Repeat with more noodles, tofu mixture, and veggies. Then top with one last layer of noodles and another 1 1/2 cups or more of sauce; I went heavy on the sauce because I love sauce! Top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
TO FREEZE: This lasagna reheats beautifully from the freezer. You can 1) freeze tightly wrapped/bagged freeze individual portions and reheat from frozen in the microwave OR 2) freeze the whole pan, then when you’re ready to bake, let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight and bake the next day. Note that it may take longer to bake depending on how thawed it is.
TO MAKE IN ADVANCE: Assemble the lasagna per the recipe. Instead of baking, wrap tightly with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake. If possible, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking to allow lasagna to get back to room temperature.