This Best Vegan Lasagna is an amazing meatless, dairy-free lasagna packed with a hummus tofu ricotta that’ll please any carnivore! You’d never guess it wasn’t packed with cheese.
For the lasagna:
- 12 whole grain lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 8oz pkg sliced mushrooms
- 12oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
- 7–10 cups marinara sauce (2-25oz jars, I like mine saucy!)
For the tofu ricotta:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook just until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add zucchini, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and peas and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Place drained tofu in a large bowl. Crumble with hands. Add hummus, nutritional yeast, basil, salt, and garlic powder. Stir together with your hands until it’s semi-smooth and resembles ricotta.
- Place about 1 1/2 cups of marinara in the bottom of a 9x13in baking dish. Top with 4 noodles (3 lengthwise and 1 widthwise to cover the gap at the end). Next add half of the ricotta mixture and half of the vegetable mixture. Top with a heaping 1 1/2 cups or more of sauce. Repeat with more noodles, tofu mixture, and veggies. Then top with one last layer of noodles and another 1 1/2 cups or more of sauce; I went heavy on the sauce because I love sauce! Top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.