Easy vegan Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread that’s 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and super yummy banana bread recipe that will be the only banana bread recipe you ever need.
THOSE CHUNKS THOOOOOO.
I’ve always been a gigantic banana bread girl. But who in their right mind doesn’t like banana bread? I don’t get you.
This weekend was kind of wild. Not like I went out and had one drink too many kind of wild, although that sounds quite lovely. It was just super busy and ya girl is TIRED. As I’m writing this its 9:06pm on Sunday and I’ve never been more pumped to melt into my bed.
I worked at Alchemy all day on Saturday and spent the majority of yesterday in the kitchen cooking, photographing, and writing a bunch of recipes. Buttttt it was all worth it once my tastebuds met this tender, yumtastical, chocolatey vegan banana bread sent from the banana gods!
Now when chocolate chips are an option, I’m always there. I never saw the point of chocolate-less banana bread when it’s such a stupendous vehicle for it.
I chopped up a 72% dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe’s for this vegan banana bread (and also put some on top post-bake) but you could also use your favorite semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If you’re one of those interesting souls born with the chocolate lover gene, you can swap them out for yummy crunchy walnuts or pecans or simply leave them out.
So here we are today with a stupid easy, insanely moist, incredibly delish, 100% whole grain and vegan recipe for AMAZING healthy banana bread. It’s a big day for us!!
This baby comes together in like nine minutes, which is splendid since it has to bake for over an hour and then cool.
Bottom line—make this in the morning so you can munch on it by lunch time.
How to Make Vegan Banana Bread
This recipe is banana heavy because it’s BANANA BREAD, ya dig? Use the ripest bananas you have to get the most natural sweetness bang for your buck. Mine were pretty much black. It’s cool! Measure out the banana after you mash it as bananas greatly vary in size.
Achieve the perfect sweetness with organic cane sugar to keep this vegan banana bread recipe affordable and accessible for everyone. Maple syrup works beautifully as well! I tried this recipe with 1/3 cup maple syrup and while it was delicious, I did have to cook it for 1 hour 15 minutes.
You can also use white sugar or coconut sugar if you don’t have organic cane sugar. I used 1/2 cup which is just sweet enough for us. If you’re used to sweeter, more “classic” banana bread, use 3/4 cup.
Add filling fiber and antioxidants with whole wheat pastry flour while keeping the texture of this vegan banana bread light and fluffy. It also makes the flavor less “wheaty,” but regular whole wheat flour and of course all purpose flour works fine, too. I would recommend this flour to make it gluten-free.
Make vegan buttermilk by curdling almond milk with lemon juice. You can also use vinegar. Such a nice trick to have up your sleeve!
Add chocolate chips for the perfect flavor! You could also use walnuts or leave them out completely, but that’s not living now is it? I get the big bag of dairy-free chocolate chips from Costco (you can buy them on Amazon, too).
Can I Make This Bread Into Muffins?
Yes! This recipe makes incredible muffins. Simply follow the recipe and pour batter into a muffin tin then bake for about 23 minutes, or until golden brown. Insanely fluffy!!
How to Store Banana Bread
- The best place to store the bread is on the countertop in an air-tight container for up to three days. If you still have some left, you can store in the fridge for up to a week or more and it will stay moist.
- To freeze bread, simply wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to four months. You can thaw it on the counter when you’re ready to eat.
Craving more bready goodness? Don’t miss my other go-to recipes!
- One Bowl Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chai-Spiced Carrot Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
- Healthy Pumpkin Gingerbread with Maple Glaze
- Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Please let me know how this vegan banana bread recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment! Your house is about to smell soooooo good.Print
Vegan Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread that’s 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and super yummy banana bread recipe that will quickly become a favorite.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups very overripe bananas, mashed (3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (or 1/3 cup maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Place bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add sugar or syrup, oil, and vanilla, stirring to combine. Stir in almond milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay!). Fold in chocolate chunks, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes for maple syrup version), or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it’s getting too browned, quickly slide a piece of tin foil on top after 50 minutes. Once done, carefully remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
This bread is delicious with my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting!
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Do not substitute almond flour or coconut flour for the whole wheat flour; they are not even substitutes and your banana bread will not turn out. For a gluten-free version, readers have had success with 2 cups of 1:1 GF baking flour OR 1 1/2 GF baking flour + 1/2 cup almond flour.
MUFFINS: To make muffins, simply pour batter into a muffin tin and bake for 23 minutes, or until golden on top and a knife comes out clean.
STORAGE: Store leftovers on the counter wrapped in foil or in a sealed container for up to three days before refrigerating/freezing.
Keywords: vegan banana bread, healthy banana bread