Easy Vegan Banana Bread that's whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and simple recipe that will be the only banana bread you ever need.
I've always been a gigantic banana bread girl. Who in their right mind doesn't adore banana bread? I cannot comprehend.
With all the vegan recipes around these parts, it was high time to add a solid banana bread to the dessert list. Vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread, vegan banana oat muffins, vegan pumpkin gingerbread...the list goes on!
I grew up eating classic banana bread at least monthly. My mom was the dessert queen. I have vivid memories of powdered sugar dusted apple cake, gooey brownies, and cream cheese cookies. I guarantee she's gonna love this version, too!
How to make vegan banana bread
We're using classic pantry staples to make this simple, fluffy loaf. No egg substitutes required!
- Make vegan buttermilk by mixing milk and vinegar.
- Mash bananas then add sugar, oil, vanilla, and milk.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour wet into dry and mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased loaf pan, bake for about an hour and 10 minutes, cool and dig in!
Key ingredients and substitutions
- Whole wheat pastry flour: So fluffy! I love using this flour in quick breads because it gives you the 100% whole grain benefit without the super "wheaty" taste of whole grain flour. You can easily sub it out for all purpose flour, too.
- Banana: Use the ripest bananas you have to get the most natural sweetness bang for your buck. Mine were pretty much black. It's cool! Measure out 1 ½ cups the banana after you mash it as bananas greatly vary in size. I find that frozen bananas are too liquidy so I don't recommend going that route.
- Sugar: We're keeping it simple with sugar but you can also use coconut sugar or brown sugar. Maple syrup works beautifully as well if you're looking for a more natural sweetener. I tried it with ⅓ cup maple syrup and I had to cook it for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Non-dairy milk: I used unsweetened vanilla almond. We're adding a splash of vinegar for that buttermilk effect. Lemon juice also works.
- Oil: Any neutral flavored oil is great here--avocado, melted coconut oil, etc.
- Vanilla and cinnamon: To enhance the banana bread flavor. You can omit the cinnamon if you're not a fan but I love the warmth it adds.
- Chocolate chips: I pretty much live for chocolate chips, but you can leave them out if that's your jam. You could also use walnuts! Cost saving tip: I like to get the big bag of dairy-free chocolate chips from Costco (you can buy them on Amazon, too).
Tips for success
- Use the ripest bananas around for the best banana flavor. Dark brown and spotty is ideal!
- Don't over-mix the batter. Lumps are your friend so you don't overdevelop the gluten. This loaf is nice and fluffy versus dense.
- Jazz it up with your favorite add-ins! Chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, coconut, extra cinnamon....YUM.
- Give your loaf pan a good spray or line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Let the bread cool a bit before removing it from the pan for perfect slicing.
Can this be made gluten free?
Why yes, it can! Readers have had success with a 1:1 gluten free baking flour.
Can I use frozen bananas?
Yes, but be sure to fully thaw them at room temperature, drain any of the excess liquid, and then measure. You may need to use a bit more bananas if you use frozen.
The best place to store banana bread is on the countertop in an air-tight container for up to three days. If you still have some left to munch on, you can store in the fridge for up to a week or more and it will stay moist.
Can I freeze bread?
Indeed! Simply wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to four months. You can thaw it on the counter at room temp or reheat the microwave for 30 seconds when you’re ready to eat.
More healthy quick breads
- Carrot Banana Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Almond Flour Chocolate Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
Please let me know how this vegan banana bread recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment!
OH MAN. Your house is about to smell soooooo good.Print
Vegan Banana Bread that's 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and super simple banana bread recipe that will quickly become a favorite. See notes for gluten free options. Delicious with my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting!
- ¼ cup non dairy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups very overripe bananas, mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar (or ⅓ cup maple syrup)
- ¼ cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Measure out bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add sugar or syrup, oil, and vanilla, whisking to combine. Stir in milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay). Fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes for maple syrup version), or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it's getting too browned, quickly slide a piece of tin foil on top after 50 minutes. Once done, carefully remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Do not substitute almond flour or coconut flour for the whole wheat flour; they are not even substitutes and your banana bread will not turn out. For a gluten-free version, readers have had success with 2 cups of 1:1 GF baking flour OR 1 ½ GF baking flour + ½ cup almond flour. Or try my Best Gluten Free Banana Bread!
Keywords: vegan banana bread, healthy banana bread