Vegan Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread that’s 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and super yummy banana bread recipe that will quickly become a favorite.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups very overripe bananas, mashed (3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (or 1/3 cup maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Place bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add sugar or syrup, oil, and vanilla, stirring to combine. Stir in almond milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay!). Fold in chocolate chunks, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into loaf pan. Bake for an 1 hour and 10 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes for maple syrup version), or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it’s getting too browned, quickly slide a piece of tin foil on top after 50 minutes. Once done, carefully remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
- Do not try to substitute almond flour or coconut flour for the whole wheat flour; they are not even substitutes and your banana bread will not turn out. For a gluten-free version, readers have had success with 2 cups of 1:1 GF baking flour OR 1 1/2 GF baking flour + 1/2 cup almond flour.
- To make muffins, simply pour batter into a muffin tin and bake for 23 minutes, or until golden on top and a knife comes out clean.
- Store leftovers on the counter wrapped in foil or in a sealed container for up to three days before refrigerating/freezing.