Easy grilled sweet potatoes loaded with spices and grilled to perfection with a creamy cilantro lime yogurt sauce for dipping! The perfect healthy summer side dish.
I told you all about my serious relationship with our new grill, right? Right. Grilled feesh tacos with the most ridonculous strawberry avocado salsa, grilled balsamic asparagus…we just can’t stop. Except on days like yesterday when the humidity outside mirrors the grill—then we can stop.
So, grilled sweet potatoes. Have you tried it? Are hooked? Cheating on the oven? Same same. The best part about grilling sweet potatoes is how fast it is. Like, ten minutes fast. Compared to the 30ish minutes it takes to do the same thing in the oven, that’s pretty rad. You also don’t get those delish grill marks in the oven, no sir.
Now the trick to the yummiest grilled sweet taters is slicing them nice and thin. Or else they’ll be al dente and this isn’t spaghetti, yo. The other trick is making sure you use a high heat oil because grills are HAWT and the smoke point of extra virgin olive oil is around 400°. We don’t want those lovely fatty acids oxidizing now do we? I use avocado oil, but you could also use grapeseed oil.
I love chowing down on these as a side dish paired with my Tomato Basil Veggie Burgers or Avocado Bean Burgers. For dessert, Chocolate Drizzled Fruit Kebabs of course! Ugh, isn’t grilling season the bestest?
I’ve been loving using thick and creamy Greek yogurt for making dips lately. So so refreshing right from the fridge with crunchy corn tortilla chips or leftover grilled veggies. If you’re dairy-free, you could try your favorite dairy-free yogurt or blend up some soaked cashews with water and the rest of the ingredients for a similar effect. I’ve also added avocado and za’atar with fab results.
Get your grill on and thank me later!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1½ tbsp avocado oil (or other high heat oil)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika (smoked or regular)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- Green onions and cilantro, for serving
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat grill to medium high for about ten minutes. Spray grates with high heat cooking spray.
- Thinly slice sweet potatoes (less than ¼ inch). Place in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Toss well to combine.
- Place sweet potatoes in an even layer on grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes and then quarter turn rounds to achieve grill marks. Cook for another 3 minutes and then flip. Cook another few minutes or until softened.
- To make crema, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish sweet potatoes with green onions and cilantro and serve with crema for dipping.