These Mexican-spiced Avocado, Corn and Black Bean Burger Patties make the perfect quick lunch or dinner! They're packed with plant-based protein and fiber for a tasty and simple meatless meal. Vegan and gluten-free!
Holy guacamole. I actually made you a veggie burg that doesn't require the almighty food processor.
I know some of you have been reading since 2011 (maybe four, four and a half people), but I'm pretty sure that most of you are newbies and have only been reading for a year-ish.
So basically you're all dying to see what my posts looked like nearly four years ago, right? Let's just say that my first post was titled Once Upon a Hummusapien. Read at your own risk. Do you die of the cuteness?
I wrote in different colors. I posted tiny pictures. With captions. I WENT THERE.
Any recipe circa 2013 is basically now vintage. My old recipes are kind of like those faded Old Navy jean jackets that everyone bought freshman year of high school and are now dusting off because WOAH NOW, they're back in style.
Now we can all look back at the original post and giggle over my silly pictures with spooky writing on top. What was I thinking?
I really do not know. I must have been distracted by the magic that is avocado inside a burger. A bean burger. A fantastically flavorful bean burger.
I've been really into fresh herbs. I'm spoiled at Alchemy because I always have fresh basil, cilantro, and parsley on hand. Having boxes and boxes of produce at my fingertips at all times really helps get the creative juices flowing.
Then I go to the grocery store for myself and cringe at the thought of spending three dollars on five springs of cilantro.
But I buy it anyway. Because tis spring and tis the season for freshness, not frugality.
I served these burgers on Ezekiel bread (I was too lazy to buy new buns) with avocado, sauerkraut (new obsession alert), a fried egg, and hot sauce.
It was everything.Print
These Mexican-spiced Avocado Bean Burgers make the perfect quick lunch or dinner! They're packed with plant-based protein and fiber for a tasty and simple meatless meal. Vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water (or 1 large egg)
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ medium ripe avocado
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup corn (I used thawed from frozen)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup oat flour (certified GF if necessary)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place flax and water in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside to "gel."
- Place drained and rinsed beans and avocado in a large bowl. Use a fork to mash mixture together, leaving some beans whole. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, foil, or a silipat. Spray with cooking spray. Form mixture into four tightly-packed patties.
- Bake for 40 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through. Serve with your favorite burger toppings!