These flavorful, firm Tomato Basil White Bean Veggie Burgers are packed with protein and fiber for a tasty meal the whole family will enjoy! Vegan and gluten-free option.
I've met my [veggie burger] soul mate.
They're firm. They flavorful. They're healthy. They're carnivore-approved. They're vegan. They're easily gluten-free. They don't fall apart. Basically they make your dreams come true.
There's a few different kinds of veg burgs. There's the ones that are super easy where you skip the onions and fresh herbs and opt for a few simple ingredients and spices, like these Easy Black Bean Burgers.
Then there's the more elaborate ones where you have to whip out your thirty pound food processor (UGH) and sauté a bunch of stuff and then they don't even stick together.
Then there's recipes like these Tomato Basil Veggie Burgers that may not have the shortest ingredient list on earth but that really do have a stellar flavor, crisp exterior and not super mushy interior.
The best part is that they won't fall apart AND you don't need a food processor. Sounds like a win to me!
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, GOOGLE?
Especially the dog who ate the last two veggie burgers. I couldn't even be mad about it.Print
These flavorful, firm Tomato Basil Veggie Burgers are packed with protein and fiber for a tasty meal the whole family will enjoy!
- ⅓ cup pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1 15oz can canellini beans (any bean will work), drained but not rinsed
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup grated carrot (I use the bagged kind)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh basil, packed
- ⅓ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos (or reduced-sodium soy sauce, sub tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup whole grain breadcrumbs (use certifie gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silipat.
- Place pepitas and oats on sheet and bake for about 7 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
- Place flax and water in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside to gel.
- Place beans in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash well, leaving some beans whole. Add in onion, carrot, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, liquid aminos, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and flax mixture. Stir well. Stir in bread crumbs, oats and pepitas.
- Using wet hands, form mixture into 6 tightly-packed patties. Bake for 15 minutes and then flip and bake another 15-20 minutes.Serve on whole grain buns with your favorite toppings. I like tomato, onion, avocado, ketchup, and mustard!
Adapted from Oh She Glows' Perfect Veggie Burger