Thou hath no fury like a bean burg that won’t stick together.
These super easy vegan black bean burgers are freaking FIRM. I mean they can really hold their own! The story behind these bombastic burgs is that I wanted an easy recipe that was actually really…easy.
For those times when you don’t want to chop an onion. When you don’t feel like mincing garlic. When whipping out the food processor sounds about as fun as folding your cousin’s step mom’s laundry.
And can we all agree that chopping onions without contacts in is equally as bad or worse than putting the big fitted sheet back on your bed? Like you know the end result is going to be amazing, but getting there is hella difficult.
Currently in my life, “those times” are just about all of the times. There’s a time and a place for fresh onion and garlic and herbs (and by all means, use fresh if you’d like!). But when you want a recipe that requires one bowl, no food processor, and minimal effort all around, this is your guy.
I use the “flax egg” and breadcrumb combo to keep them firm which I find works really, really well. My go-to breadcumb texture and flavor-wise is currently Ian’s Italian style panko. If you need them to be gluten-free, feel free to swap in gluten-free breadcrumbs. I know there’s a wheat-free version of the worcestershire sauce out there, too.
Simply dump, mash, mix, cook, eat. Pretty please don’t skip the vegan worcestershire sauce—it really adds flavah flave and lasts forever in the fridge so I promise you’ll use it up. When I say forever, I mean forever. I’ll pretend like mine didn’t expire in January. Tasted totally fine to me!
Eat up, burger babes. Eat up!
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 2-14.5oz cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 cup Italian-style Panko breadcrumbs (I used Ian's)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- Whole grain buns and toppings of choice
- Oil/cooking spray, for cooking
- Place flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- Preheat a large pan sprayed with cooking spray or olive oil over medium heat.
- Place beans in a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until most beans are broken up, leaving some whole beans in tact. Add breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, sriarcha, worcestershire sauce, and flax mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Form into 6 tightly-packed patties.
- Cook on well-oiled skillet for 6-8 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Serve on whole grain buns with toppings!
[Tweet “The easiest Vegan Black Bean Burgers for #MeatlessMonday! @theHummusapien”]