Hearty, firm healthy Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers made with oats and paired with creamy Cilantro Yogurt Sauce. The BEST no-crumble texture and ready in under 30 minutes! Freezer-friendly.
Now that I've nailed the dreamiest veggie burger texture, I want to make three million and five versions. This recipe is inspired by my Pumpkin Walnut Burgers, which give new meaning to veggie burgers. No mush allowed!
Although it's been a minute since I posted a veggie burger recipe, we’re no strangers to burgers. These Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers are a staple for something quick and I do adore these Salmon Burgers to death.
- Chickpeas: The base of our burgers, packed with plant plant protein and fiber. The key is drying out the beans in the oven first so there isn't excess moisture.
- Walnuts: I love walnuts! They help with the “meaty” texture and offer a great flavor boost, too. Full of heart-healthy, plant-based omega-3 fatty acids.
- Roasted sweet potato: For a bit of moisture, flavor, and binding assistance. Roasting it before hand means it'll lend a specifically sweet and smoky flavor that microwaving or steaming will not. I love freezing extra chunks for blending into smoothies!
- Old-fashioned oats: A fun twist on breadcrumbs to help the burgers stay together. Toasting the oats along with them guarantees a maximum flavor situation. Use certified gluten-free if needed.
- Onion: Flavor town! Red onion would work as well. Make sure it's finely diced to help everything stick together well.
- Cilantro: I love cilantro here for southwestern flavor, but you could also use parsley if that's your jam.
- Spices: Chili powder, garlic powder (or you can use a couple cloves of fresh garlic), smoked paprika, and cumin. You can adjust the amount of spices to your preference and even add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes if you want things spicy.
- Yogurt: So simple for a creamy sauce to slather on. Dairy or non-dairy will work. I like Greek here but anything unflavored and unsweetened will do. The higher the fat content, the richer the sauce will be.
How to roast a sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce a sweet potato (or a few) several times with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until very fork tender.
- Allow potato to cool. Peel and use per the recipe.
I love enjoying these burgs between a nice sesame bun with lettuce, the sauce and a pickle. They'd also be delish with fries or...
If you make these sweet potato burgers, please let me know by leaving a comment and star rating. I’m so grateful for your feedback!Print
Hearty and healthy Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce. The BEST texture and ready in under 30 minutes! Vegan option and gluten free.
For the burgers:
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (certified gluten free if needed)
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato (flesh from 1 large sweet potato*)
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ tsp fine sea salt
For the sauce:
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt (can sub regular yogurt or non-dairy yogurt)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced (1 tbsp lime juice)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce, chipotle tabasco is great too!)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread drained beans, walnuts, and oats on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add toasted beans, walnuts, and oats and pulse until broken down but not powder-like. You want some texture!
- Add 1 cup of sweet potato, onion, cilantro, garlic, spices, and salt. Pulse until combined. The mixture should resemble cookie dough and form a ball when processing. It should not be crumbly and should easily form burgers when you pack it together with your hands. If it seems too dry, add more sweet potato until the texture is right.
- Warm a drizzle of olive oil in skillet over medium low heat (I used a large cast iron). Using a heaping ⅓ cup measure, form mixture into 6 even burgers (this helps with a round shape, too). Once hot, cook burgers for about 4-5 minutes per side or until browned, turning down the heat if they’re cooking too quickly.
- Make sauce by stirring together yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and sriracha in a small bowl. Devour burgers with sauce and toppings of choice.
*To bake sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce a sweet potato (or a few) several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until very fork tender. Allow potato to cool. Peel and measure flesh per the recipe.