These flavorful, firm Tomato Basil Veggie Burgers are packed with protein and fiber for a tasty meal the whole family will enjoy!
- 1/3 cup pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1–15oz can canellini beans (any bean will work), drained but not rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot (I use the bagged kind)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil, packed
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos (or reduced-sodium soy sauce, sub tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup whole grain breadcrumbs (use certifie gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silipat.
- Place pepitas and oats on baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
- Place flax and water in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside to gel.
- Place beans in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash well, leaving some beans whole. Add in onion, carrot, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, liquid aminos, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and flax mixture. Stir well.
- Stir in bread crumbs, oats and pepitas.
- Using wet hands, form mixture into 6 tightly-packed patties.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then flip and bake another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve on whole grain buns with your favorite toppings. I like tomato, onion, avocado, ketchup, and mustard!
Adapted from Oh She Glows’ Perfect Veggie Burger