These decadent Double Chocolate Cookies are packed with whole grains and made with one bowl! They’re completely vegan and gluten-free and have zero butter, refined flour, or refined sugar. Crisp on the edges and soft on the inside, they’re the perfect treat.
Hummusapien turns five years young today!
And I’m weirdly emotional about it.
Who remembers the letter I wrote to you all a year ago for Hummie McHum’s 4th birthday? Last year was the year I recapped what the blog means to me, the emotional roller coaster it takes me on every single day, and my sentimental thoughts about the present and my hopes for the future. That year I also wrote a love letter to Alchemy for its 1st birthday. The tears!!
For Hummusapien’s 3rd birthday, I made Blueberry Peach Quinoa Crisp and rambled on about finally buying a nice camera. Those were the days! “I hope that when life gives you quinoa, you stuff it in a crumble.” Man, I thought I was so funny.
For Hummusapien’s 2nd birthday, I made Sunbutter Squash Snack Cookies. I told you that “this blog has personified my passion for food, health, and life and inspired me in ways I never could have imagined.”
This year I’m not gonna ramble on about how wild and delicious and hectic and life-changing this space has been, how it’s made me stronger and wiser and given me a thicker skin. Just know that I love this blog and everyone that reads it very, very much.
I feel really lucky to know at the age of 26 what my purpose in life is. If there’s anything that five years of blogging has taught me, it’s that I was put on this earth to inspire. To inspire through words, recipes, photographs, food, eduction, and menus. I don’t know if I’ll blog forever or how many Alchemy’s there will be or if I’ll ever write a cookbook, but there’s one thing I know for sure. No matter what I’m doing, I’ll never stop inspiring others to embrace healthy, delicious food.
On this glorious day that is Hummusapien’s 5th birthday, lettuce face-plant into the most deliciously healthy double chocolate cookies that just so happen to be free of butter and refined flour and sugar! Picture slightly crispy edges and a soft center packed with gooey chocolate chips. I know…DROOL. Oh and they’re totally vegan and gluten-free, beyond easy to whip up, and only require one bowl. ONE. BOWL. Some of the dreamiest words there are! I loathe dishes.
I usually use pre-packaged oat flour but I really like the texture that grinding the whole oats into flour gives these cookies. If you don’t have coconut sugar, brown sugar will work just fine. I like to use this ground flax, these old-fashioned oats, this coconut sugar, this almond butter (be sure it’s the drippy kind!), and these chocolate chips. These gems were inspired by two amazing cookie recipes a la Making Thyme for Health and Oh She Glows.
Cheers to endless chocolate and many, many more blog birthdays. Love yew!Print
One Bowl Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
These decadent Double Chocolate Cookies are packed with whole grains and made with one bowl! They’re completely vegan and gluten-free and have no butter, refined flour, or refined sugar. Crisp on the edges and soft on the inside, they’re the perfect treat!
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (do not melt)
- 3 tbsp almond butter (the drippy kind)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats, ground (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coffee grounds (dry)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- Place flax and water in a large mixing bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside and let mixture gel for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Place oats in a blender or food processor (I used my Nutribullet). Process until flour-like. Set aside.
- To large bowl with flax mixture, stir in coconut oil, almond butter (if it’s not drippy, you may need to add a tablespoon or two or almond milk to moisten batter), coconut sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add ground oats, cocoa powder, coffee grounds, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix well. Add in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into 12 balls. They should be very soft. If they’re not, be sue to slightly flatten with hands. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired. Place two inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire cooling rack. Sprinkle with sea salt for extra flair!
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging
[Tweet “Treat time! #Vegan One Bowl Double Chocolate Cookies via @TheHummusapien”]