Soft and decadent Salted Double Chocolate Cookies made in one bowl with whole grain oat flour! A vegan and gluten free treat everyone will love.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Place flax and water in a large mixing bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside and let mixture gel for 5 minutes.
- To bowl with flax mixture, add coconut oil, almond butter, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat with a handheld mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until it turns light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Beat until a soft and moist dough is formed. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 14 balls about the size of a golf ball and place evenly on baking sheet two inches apart. If desired, you can gently flatten cookies with the palm of your hand. Top with flaky salt. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake! Err on the side of under-baking them.
*If your coconut oil is soft or liquidy, refrigerate it until firm. The cookies will be thin and spread a lot if oil is too soft.
TO MAKE HOMEMADE OAT FLOUR: Grind 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (use certified gluten free if needed) in the blender or Nutribullet until it resembles a very fine flour. The measure out 1 1/2 cups of flour. This recipe has only been tested with oat flour; other flours are not 1:1 substitutes.
The almond butter should be liquidy and not refrigerated. I would not recommend using peanut butter here as it is more dry than almond butter.
Inspired and adapted from Oh She Glows.