Easy Vegan Banana Bread that's 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and simple recipe that will be the only banana bread you ever need.
THOSE CHUNKS THOOOOOO.
I've always been a gigantic banana bread girl. Who in their right mind doesn't like banana bread? I cannot comprehend.
I grew up eating banana bread at least monthly. My mumsy was a baker extraordinaire. She may not have been whipping up The Best Gluten Free Banana Bread, but I have vivid memories of powdered sugar dusted apple cake, brownies (ya know, the recipe on the side of cocoa box), cream cheese cookies, and baked apples.
She never made banana bread without oodles of chocolate chips. Smart lady. Oh, and walnuts! Everything had walnuts. I remember complaining as a kid but now I'm obsessed.
When chocolate chips are an option, I'm always there. I never saw the point of chocolate-less banana bread when it's such a stupendous vehicle for it. I chopped up a 72% dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe's for this guy and it was divine.
So here we are today with a stupid easy, insanely moist, incredibly delish, 100% whole grain and vegan recipe for AMAZING healthy banana bread. It's a big day for us!!
This baby comes together in like nine minutes, which is splendid since it has to bake for over an hour and then cool. Bottom line--make this in the morning so you can munch on it by lunch time.
Key ingredients, substitutions, and tips
Whole wheat pastry flour: So fluffy! I love using this flour in quick breads because it gives you the 100% whole grain benefit without the super "wheaty" taste of whole grain flour. You can easily sub it out for all purpose flour, too.
Banana: This recipe is banana heavy because it's BANANA BREAD, ya dig? Use the ripest bananas you have to get the most natural sweetness bang for your buck. Mine were pretty much black. It's cool! Measure out 1 ½ cups the banana after you mash it as bananas greatly vary in size. I find that frozen bananas are too liquidy so I don't recommend going that route.
Sugar: We're using granulated sugar to keep this vegan banana bread recipe affordable and accessible for everyone. You can also use coconut sugar. If you're used to sweeter, more "classic" banana bread, you can use ¾ cup. Maple syrup works beautifully as well if you're looking for a more natural sweetener! I tried this recipe with ⅓ cup maple syrup and while it was delish, I did have to cook it for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Non-dairy milk: I used unsweetened vanilla almond. We're adding a splash of vinegar for that buttermilk effect. Lemon juice also works.
Oil: Any neutral flavored oil is great here--avocado, melted coconut oil, etc. Moisture time!
Vanilla and cinnamon: To enhance the banana bread flavor. You can omit the cinnamon if you're not a fan but I love the warmth it adds.
Chocolate chips: I pretty much live for chocolate chips, but you can leave them out if that's your jam. You could also use walnuts! Cost saving tip: I like to get the big bag of dairy-free chocolate chips from Costco (you can buy them on Amazon, too).
Let's make muffins!
This recipe makes incredible muffins. Simply follow the recipe, pour the batter into a muffin tin, then bake for about 23 minutes (or until golden brown). The fluff factor may just blow your mind.
Can this be made gluten free?
Why yes, it can! I would recommend this gluten free baking flour to make it gluten-free. It works like a charm!
- The best place to store banana bread is on the countertop in an air-tight container for up to three days. If you still have some left to munch on, you can store in the fridge for up to a week or more and it will stay moist.
- To freeze bread, simply wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to four months. You can thaw it on the counter when you’re ready to eat.
Craving more banana bread goodness? Don't miss my other go-to recipes!
- The Best Gluten Free Banana Bread
- One Bowl Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chai-Spiced Carrot Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
- Healthy Pumpkin Gingerbread with Maple Glaze
Please let me know how this vegan banana bread recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment!
OH MAN. Your house is about to smell soooooo good.Print
Vegan Banana Bread that's 100% whole grain, perfectly sweet and moist, and takes less than 10 minutes to whip up! A healthy and super simple banana bread recipe that will quickly become a favorite. See notes for gluten free options!
- ¼ cup non dairy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups very overripe bananas, mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar (or ⅓ cup maple syrup)
- ¼ cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Measure out bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add sugar or syrup, oil, and vanilla, whisking to combine. Stir in milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay). Fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes for maple syrup version), or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it's getting too browned, quickly slide a piece of tin foil on top after 50 minutes. Once done, carefully remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
This bread is delicious with my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting!
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Do not substitute almond flour or coconut flour for the whole wheat flour; they are not even substitutes and your banana bread will not turn out. For a gluten-free version, readers have had success with 2 cups of 1:1 GF baking flour OR 1 ½ GF baking flour + ½ cup almond flour. Or try my Best Gluten Free Banana Bread!
MUFFINS: To make muffins, simply pour batter into a muffin tin and bake for 23 minutes, or until golden on top and a knife comes out clean.
STORAGE: Store leftovers on the counter wrapped in foil or in a sealed container for up to three days before refrigerating/freezing.
Keywords: vegan banana bread, healthy banana bread