Fluffy 100% whole grain Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins bursting with lemon flavor! Moist, healthy muffins the whole family will love.
Is it just me or has the Hummusapien baked good game been ON POINT lately?!
The recipe bug has clearly bitten me good and it's been super fun to have those creative juices flowing. Believe me when I say I feel it physically when that inspired spirit flows through me like liquid gold. It's magic.
But I also go through phases of writer's block (and recipe block) when I feel like I legitimately have nothing to say or give to the world, which as a blogger, can be a challenge.
Instead of judging myself for wanting to hibernate here and there, I sit with it, I let myself feel it, and I do something else that has nothing to do with food or nutrition or the internet.
I listen to 90's music. I sit outside at a coffee shop and listen to the birds. I walk to the park with a friend. I call my mom. I have real, meaningful, in-person conversations. I CONNECT. With myself especially but also with the people I love most.
"Pause your life if you need to, care for yourself lovingly, do not ignore your rest, slow down so you can take a deep breath."
You know what else brings me joy in moments when joy is tough to find? Baking. Baking something yummy in the kitchen by myself when it's really sunny out while I jam to Betty Who.
When I think of these stellar healthy vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins, AKA fluffy clouds of delish muffin heaven, I think of the warm and fuzzy feeling I had when I was whisking the flour and zesting the lemon. I really believe that food tastes better when it's made with love.
How to make Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins
I love these muffins because they're 100% whole grain (whole wheat pastry flour is my spirit animal) but you'd never suspect it. They're also vegan, bursting with bright citrus flavor and sweet bloobs, and so darn moist n' fluffy that you may just never make another muffin recipe again.
- They're egg free and come together in minutes! First you'll make a vegan "buttermilk" by curdling almond milk and lemon. So easy.
- Melted coconut oil makes them super buttery with a nice crumb.
- They rise beautifully thanks to baking them at 400°F and having plenty of flour. No flat, dense muffins here!
Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full instructions.
- First, we're making vegan buttermilk by combining non-dairy milk and lemon juice and letting it curdle.
- Then we combine all the dry ingredients, including flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in zest and blueberries.
- Add melted coconut oil and vanilla to the almond milk mixture. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, filling to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 400F and voila!
How to prevent muffins from turning blue
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries here. Note that if you use frozen, your muffins may turn blue since the blueberries tend to bleed. You can rinse them with cold water to help eliminate the bleeding.
You can also toss them with a couple tablespoons of flour, which will help them from sinking to the bottom and causing soggy muffins.
Tools to Make Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- How awesome is this muffin tin with a lid? Great for traveling. I use this muffin tin at home and it's foolproof. I often use these silicone muffin liners as well when I don't feel like cleaning the pan.
- A microplane zester to get all that delish lemon zest.
- These cooling racks are a must!
- This muffin scoop may just save your life. So much less mess.
How to Store and Freeze Muffins
Store muffins in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to two days, or in the refrigerator for up to five days. Freeze muffins for up to 3 months.
I recommend freezing them on a lined baking sheet or plate and then once frozen, pop them into a freezer baggie. To reheat, microwave straight from he freezer until warm and enjoy!
Jeff and I polished off this batch in less than four days and I couldn't wait to make them again. I think you'll appreciate how quickly they came together and how awesome they taste for being so wholesome. Muffin on, good souls!
Please let me know how this fluffy lemon blueberry muffins recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment! I hope you're as obsessed as I am.
Craving more muffin goodness? Don’t miss my other go-to muffin recipes:
- Fluffy Orange Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Fluffy Pumpkin Muffins
Delicious, fluffy, 100% whole grain + vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins bursting with bright lemon flavor! Moist, healthy, irresistible muffins the whole family will love.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Place almond milk in a liquid measuring cup or bowl and stir in lemon juice. Set aside.
- Measure flour by spooning it into measuring cup and leveling with a knife, being careful not to pack it in. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring to combine. Stir in lemon zest and blueberries.
- Stir oil and vanilla into almond milk mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them to the top. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a fork comes out clean. Cool muffins in tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Store leftover muffins in an air-tight container on the counter.
STORAGE: Store muffins in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze muffins for up to 3 months.
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: You can sub an all purpose gluten free flour.
Keywords: lemon blueberry muffins, healthy lemon blueberry muffins, vegan lemon blueberry muffins