You’d never guess these incredibly moist 100% whole grain Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins have zero oil and are packed with veggies! Whip up a batch for easy healthy breakfasts on-the-go.
These here muffers kind of restored my faith in humanity.
They stand for something. They’re the muffins I didn’t make last week when life felt messy. They kind of symbolize me being at peace. That may sound super melodramatic, but the fact that they came out damn near perfect on the first try seemed like a gift from the anxiety gods.
Like, “congrats on not feeling too stressed to cook, hummus!! Want a cookie!? Or a muffin? How about the best chocolate zucchini muffin in the land?” Yeah, that’ll do.
I used to make Happy Herbivore’s Chocolate Zucchini Muffins alllll the time back in the day. I don’t really know why I stopped making them. All I know is having a boatload of zucchini, ripe nanners, and Bob’s whole wheat pastry flour on hand made it all just so meant to be. I knew I wanted them to have less sugar, so why not nix the almond milk and applesauce and triple the banana? And since they’re oil-free, why not substitute some of the pastry flour for almond meal? Because…moistness.
I took them out of the oven and worried they wouldn’t be as good as the original. I worried they’d be too wet or too dry. Oh no.
They were…everything. I immediately texted the boyf and told him how I’d just laid mouth on the best muffin I had ever made. I told him he should hurry his hiney over here to try one while they were hot and melty.
Of course he wasn’t done cleaning so I was forced to eat them all myself. Damn.
I assure you these beyond moist, perfectly sweet (and totally oil-free!) vegan chocolate zucchini muffins will distract you from any and every woe, even if just for a moment.
I love that good food can be an escape in that way. Go ahead. Let these divine muffamillions take you to a better place!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 small over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini (don't squeeze water out)
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (I used mini) + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tin/line with liners and set aside.
- Place flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl, stirring unti combined.
- Place bananas in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add zucchini and almond milk, and vanilla.
- Pour half of dry mixture into wet mixture stirring just until combined. Repeat with the rest of the dry mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill sprayed muffin tin evenly with batter. Top each muffin with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until set.
I was out of vanilla extract, but that would be a delicious addition!
[Tweet “Snack smarter with these Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins via @TheHummusapien”]