When people tell me they “forgot” to eat breakfast, I get…confused. Like totally, completely, utterly, extraordinarily bamboozled.
Wait. What do you mean, you “forgot?” Did you forget to brush your teeth, too? Were you blind all day because you forgot to put your contacts in that morning?
What about getting dressed? I hope you remembered that one.
Call me crazy but I schedule my life around food. I think about lunch after the first bite of breakfast. All I can think about during sumo squats in Barre3 is what my dinner plate will look like. Hi, I’m Hummus, and I’m wholeheartedly obsessed with eating.
I’d forget pants before I’d forget to eat breakfast. #priorities
For all the confused souls who let breakfast slip their mind, this recipe was made for you. They’re essentially pre-portioned, lightly sweetened baked oatmeal cups that you can grab for an easy peasy breakfast on-the-go. You just have to remember to make them. Can you do that for me?
They’re super customizable as well. Swap almond butter for peanut butter and add chocolate chips for a real morning treat. Get your Autumn on by tossing in walnuts, diced apple, and extra cinnamon. Feeling buff? Add a couple scoops of protein powder to the batter. Instant muscles, bro.
Do what ya gotta do to make yourself not forget the most important meal of the day. As if that was even humanly possible. Which apparently it is.
Shall we talk about the green thingies lurking in these oatmeal cups? Well, that’s zucchini (duh), and it gives you your daily dose of green, a bit of filling fiber, and also some added moisture that allows the batter to be totally oil-free! Score.
These baked oatmeal cups are lightly sweetened with a touch of pure maple syrup and ripe banana, so don’t expect them to taste like chocolate cake. Arman has you covered in that department. It’s breakfast, people!
For when you “don’t have time” to make oatmeal….THESE.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (alternatively, you can use 1 egg)
- ¼ cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 small-medium over-ripe bananas
- 2 small zucchinis (2 cups grated, don't squeeze water out)
- ½ cup almond milk (any milk will work)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Optional add-ins: ¼ cup chocolate chips and/or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a muffin tin (I used two, you can also pour the extra batter in a dish for an oatmeal bake) with cooking spray or grease with coconut oil or line with silicone muffin liners.
- Place flax and water in small bowl. Stir and set aside to "gel."
- Place bananas in a large bowl and mash with a fork. Add grated zucchini, almond milk, vanilla extract, almond butter, maple syrup, and flax mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and add-in's of choice. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cups, filling to the top. You will have leftover batter if only using one muffin tin.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean. Store cooled oatmeal cups in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. These freeze well, too!
For more oatmeal cup lovin’, check out my Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cups…
…and my Lemon Coconut Oatmeal Cups!
Wondering what to do with the other zucchinis you have laying around? I teamed up with my blog babes Arman, Lindsay, Kylie, Sarah, and Julia for our monthly round-up and they have some splendid ideas, both sweet and savory!
Arman of The Big Man’s World put on his baking cap and whipped up a Healthy 1-Minute Flourless Chocolate Cake. One minute?! BRB going to make this cake. Oh wait, I’m actually going to make him make it for me in t minus three days. MUHAHA.
Sarah made us these divine Zucchini Corn Fritters with Black Bean Salsa…the dreamiest of appetizers.
Julia from The Roasted Root is bringing a lovely Goat Cheese, Tomato, and Zucchini Frittata to the party. I call this brunch food…and brunch food is my absolute FAVORITE.
Kylie of Imma Eat That had us single ladies in mind when she created this unbelievable-looking Shredded Zucchini Breakfast Pizza for One!
Lindsay of The Lean Green Bean fired up the grill with these tasty Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups. I adore any veggie that can be rolled and the easily inserted into my mouth.