This Arugula Salad with Farro and Apple plus tangy goat cheese, pumpkin spice pepitas, and Honeycrisp Apple Dressing will become a crowd favorite!
Oh my SALAD.
Have you ever laid eyes on something so glorious and green? Concocting this wonder of a salad made me extremely excited for the holidays.
Speaking of holidays, have I told you that I always get asked to bring the veg? Understandably so. I typically debate between my Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash or my famous Vegan Green Bean Casserole...both of which require some considerable chopping and cooking.
Finally, I have an easy and satisfying solution to the veg question for when I don't feel like spending a ton of time in the kitchen! Today’s arugula salad with Marzetti's® drool-worthy new Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing is a splendid option for the holiday table. And isn't it so nice to have something fresh?!
I don't like to pick favorites but of all the dressings in Marzetti's® new line of Tastefully Dressed™ options, I think the Honeycrisp Apple Dressing may just be my favorite. It's delightfully sweet but not overpoweringly so, with plenty of acid for brightness and a vibrant, crisp finish. Just like the apple!
I just adore the unique ingredient profile. I mean who wouldn't be all over salad dressing made with the best apple ever?
I mentioned in my Wild Rice and Sweet Potato Kale Salad post (starring my other favorite Tastefully Dressed™ Roasted Garlic Rosemary Dressing with Olive Oil Vinaigrette™) that the bottle is wrapped in a UV-Blocking label, protecting the real ingredients from harmful UV-rays in the grocery store aisles.
This is a really innovative way to ensure they’re chock full of flavor without having to add a bunch of preservatives. I love learning how the industry is pushing forward food preservation in health-conscious ways. Marzetti® is truly leading the way in the salad dressing department!
You must check out the full line of eight dressings with unique, bold flavors and chock full of real ingredients. Find them in the shelf stable aisle at your local Giant Eagle, Walmart, Kroger and select retailers nationwide. Click here to find one nearest you!
Ideas for Add-ins and Substitutions
OMG I just can't wait for you to try the pumpkin spice pepitas on this salad! Scented with a splash of coconut oil, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice, they form the most amazing little clusters that totally elevate the salad alongside the Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing.
Good luck not housing them by the handful before they make their way onto the salad...
- To make this recipe dairy-free, sub avocado or your favorite vegan cheese for creaminess.
- If goat cheese isn't your jam, feta would also be delish. Anything creamy and tangy is fair game!
- Add apple chips for crunch and added sweetness to bring out the Marzetti® Tastefully Dressed™ dressing even more.
- Add white beans, lentils, hemp seeds, or grilled chicken for a protein boost.
- Add dried cherries or pomegranate arils for added color and flavor.
- Sub sunflower seeds for pepitas, or try pecans, almonds or walnuts.
- For a gluten free salad, use brown rice instead of farro. (Farro contains wheat and is not gluten free.)
- No arugula? Use butter lettuce or spinach and add extra cracked pepper.
How to Cook Farro
Farro is a delightfully nutty and chewy ancient grain. It packs far more of a flavor punch and intriguing texture than other grains, which pairs perfectly with the Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing. I just love the body it adds to this salad! It really gives it oomph.
You can cook it over the stove or in the pressure cooker. I like to get the quick-cooking pearled kind that only takes 10 minutes to cook. Simply boil a medium pot of salted water (a 1:3 ratio of farro to water is a safe bet), add the farro, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until tender but still chewy. Drain any excess liquid.
Regular, non quick-cooking farro will take closer to 30-40 minutes to cook.
For an even nuttier version, you can toast the farro dry in the pot over medium heat for a few minutes before cooking, stirring occasionally.
To prepare in the pressure cooker:
- Place farro, 1 ¼ cups water and ¼ tsp salt in the pressure cooker.
- Cook on High for 7 minutes.
- Natural release for 7 minutes. Carefully remove the lid and drain any excess liquid.
What to Serve with This Salad
This arugula salad is an excellent side dish for a big family meal, but it also stands up on its own thanks to the grains, fruit, seeds, cheese and dressing. In fact, one serving boasts over 14 grams of protein!
I like to enjoy it for lunch with a bowl of soup. You can also serve it alongside:
- grilled fish, marinated tempeh, or chicken
- a snack plate with hard boiled eggs, hummus, celery sticks, and fresh fruit
- roasted chickpeas or lentils for added protein
I can't wait to hear how your tastebuds flip for this one!Print
This Arugula Salad with Farro and Apple plus tangy goat cheese, pumpkin spice pepitas, and Marzetti® Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing will become a crowd favorite! Super satisfying and excellent for lunches.
- 5 oz arugula
- ½ cup (about 3 oz) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium Honeycrisp apple, diced
- ¾ cup farro (I used quick cooking)
- ⅓ cup diced green onion
- Marzetti® Tastefully Dressed™ Honeycrisp Apple Dressing, to taste
For the pumpkin spice pepita clusters:
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Place pepitas on baking sheet.
- Place coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Pour mixture over pepitas and use your hands to toss until combined. Arrange in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes. Let pan cool on a wire rack, being careful not to touch them for 15 minutes so they can form clusters.
- Meanwhile, cook farro according to package directions. Once cooked, drain any excess liquid and transfer to a bowl. Place in the refrigerator or freezer to expedite cooling (warm farro will wilt the arugula).
- Assemble salad by placing arugula on a serving platter. Layer on goat cheese, apple, cooled farro, green onion and pepita clusters. Add as much dressing as you'd like and season the salad with a good pinch of salt and several grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Gently toss to combine and serve immediately.
TO MAKE DAIRY FREE: Swap the goat cheese for diced avocado.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Swap the farro for brown rice.
STORAGE: Salad will keep well in fridge for up to 2 days. Storing components separately will extend shelf life.
Keywords: arugula salad, fall salad
This post is sponsored by Marzetti®. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Hummusapien possible!