Impress your guests with this beautifully festive and super satisfying Winter Squash, Farro, and Pomegranate Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette. Packed with antioxidants and fiber, this healthy holiday side salad is guaranteed to become a favorite!
Your search for the perfect salad dressing is over.
It's a done deal. This shallot vinaigrette is my favorite dressing OF ALL TIME. And I've eaten a lot of salad in my 28 years on planet Earth!
I don't know what is is about shallots that makes this dressing so magical, but it truly is next level delicious. I made it when we had friends over for a Hanukah dinner and everyone asked the recipe.
This Winter Squash, Farro, and Pomegranate Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette is meal worthy on its own but it also makes a gorgeous and festive side dish, especially around the holiday season.
She's studded with pomegranate jewels and bright orange squash that pairs with nutty farro like a match made in salad heaven. We ate the leftovers with Sartori Merlot BellaVitano cheese and HOLD THE PHONE--- I was actually speechless over the salad glory.
I know there's a million and three salad recipes on the internet but I swear to you, this one is a keeper. It makes ahhhhmazing work week lunches or dinner sides and you could easily add grilled salmon, shrimp, chicken, roasted chickpeas, or baked tofu to make it even more filing. I
f you have a gluten intolerance, wild or brown rice would be perfect in place of the farro. I got the quick cooking farro at Trader Joe's which is delightful because it's done in ten minutes. And while we're on the topic of pomegranate, you better make these Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pomegranate for dessert!!
If you're too lazy to cut squash (delicata is the best because you can eat the peel) or cook farro or de-seed a pomegranate, just make the dressing and enjoy it with greens solo. Easiest ever! I definitely recommend using a soft, buttery green here. No kale, mmmk? I used soft local mixed greens from our CSA box.
You and this salad are about to become besties, I just know it.Print
Impress your guests with this festive and flavorful Winter Squash, Farro, and Pomegranate Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette. This healthy holiday side salad is guaranteed to become a favorite!
For the salad:
- ½ cup farro
- 4 cups cubed squash (I used butternut and sliced delicata)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 5 oz mixed greens
For the shallot vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely minced shallots
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place farro and 2 cups water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 35 minutes, or until softened. (I used semi-cooked farro from Trader Joe's, which takes 10 minutes to cook). Drain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast while oven preheats for about 7 minutes or until fragrant and golden.
- Transfer walnuts to a bowl and place chopped squash evenly on same baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Bake for 20 minutes or until softened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallots, honey, Dijon, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil until emulsified.
- To serve, place a handful of greens on each plate. Top with a bit of squash, farro, pomegranate, walnuts, and drizzle with dressing. Alternatively, you can mix everything together in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing to taste, storing any leftovers in the fridge.