Impress your guests with this beautifully festive and super satisfying Winter Squash, Farro, and Pomegranate Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette. Packed with antioxidants and fiber, this healthy holiday side salad is guaranteed to become a favorite!
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup farro
- 4 cups cubed squash (I used butternut and sliced delicata)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 5 oz mixed greens
For the shallot vinaigrette:
- Place farro and 2 cups water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 35 minutes, or until softened. (I used semi-cooked farro from Trader Joe’s, which takes 10 minutes to cook). Drain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast while oven preheats for about 7 minutes or until fragrant and golden.
- Transfer walnuts to a bowl and place chopped squash evenly on same baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Bake for 20 minutes or until softened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallots, honey, Dijon, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil until emulsified.
- To serve, place a handful of greens on each plate. Top with a bit of squash, farro, pomegranate, walnuts, and drizzle with dressing. Alternatively, you can mix everything together in a large mixing bowl. Add dressing to taste, storing any leftovers in the fridge.