Nourishing, vibrant fall arugula salad with nutty farro, crisp apple, tangy goat cheese, homemade pumpkin spice pepitas, and apple cider vinegar dressing will become a crowd favorite! It comes together quickly and adds a pop of freshness to the holiday table with this nourishing, delicious salad. Also delicious for weekday lunches with your favorite protein on top!
For the salad:
- 5 oz arugula
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium Honeycrisp apple, diced small
- 3/4 cup dry farro (I used quick cooking)
- 1/3 cup diced green onion
- Optional: handful of pomegranate arils, dried cherries, and avocado
- Apple cider vinegar dressing (omit the oregano)
For the pumpkin spice pepita clusters:
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Place pepitas on baking sheet.
- Place coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Pour mixture over pepitas and use your hands to toss until combined. Arrange in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes. Let pan cool on a wire rack, being careful not to touch them for 15 minutes so they can form clusters.
- Meanwhile, cook farro according to package directions. Once cooked, drain any excess liquid and transfer to a bowl. Place in the refrigerator or freezer to expedite cooling (warm farro will wilt the arugula).
- Make dressing. Taste and adjust, adding more maple syrup for sweetness if desired.
- Assemble salad by placing arugula on a serving platter. Layer on goat cheese, apple, cooled farro, green onion and pepita clusters. Add as much dressing as you'd like and season the salad with a good pinch of salt and several grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Gently toss to combine and serve immediately.
TO MAKE DAIRY FREE: Swap the goat cheese for diced avocado.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Swap the farro for brown rice.
STORAGE: Salad will keep well in fridge for up to 2 days. Storing components separately will extend shelf life.
Keywords: arugula salad, fall salad