Give me a moment of your precious thyme to talk about the serious business that is these fries. I mean carrots.
Errrrmyygerrrdd. Can we please chit chat about these gorg fries. They simply are not real life. They’re too good to be true, minus the fact that they’re true. Fry, meet face. It’s a love storyyyyy baby just say yes!
Romeo take me….
T. Swift anyone? Errr no? But come on…wasn’t she super unreal doin’ her thang at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show? I don’t even love Taylor to be honest, but she was totally an angel that night. These carrots, however, are the devil.
They’re perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and sweet and salty and buttery (more like coconutty) and downright irresistible. There will be no shortage of adjectives today. You haven’t even heard the best part yet! In case you haven’t noticed, they’re just CARROTS. They’re devilishly good carrots, and it’s darn near impossible not to down the whole pan in one sitting. Just try to fight the crispiness. I mean I double dog dare you to try.
I swear to you–the best recipes are created totally unintentionally. I was simply trying to de-vegify my fridge before I leave for my cruise as to not waste precious veg; and little did I know, December 24th would mark the birth of these cray cray carrots.
Pair those heavenly roasted carrots with ooey-gooey, sweet and salty glazed tempeh and you better call the doctor, because you may just fall over and die.
In a good way. Think food coma.Print
A comforting, vegan-friendly entree featuring hearty tempeh and sweet and salty roasted carrots.
For the carrots:
- 6 large carrots, ends removed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the tempeh:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut cut carrots into fry-like shapes and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with melted coconut oil, maple syrup, thyme, garlic and salt. Toss well to combine. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempeh marinade by whisking together the orange juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, soy sauce and thyme. If the coconut oil solidifies, microwave the mixture for 10 seconds.
- Place cubed tempeh in an even layer in a dish or Tupperware. Pour marinade over top and allow mixture to marinate for thirty minutes.
- Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium high heat. Once hot, add tempeh cubes (reserve marinade for later). Sautee for about three minutes, stirring frequently to brown tempeh on all sides. Add the remaining marinade (including any coconut oil that has solidified) and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. The sauce should be bubbling. Sprinkle mixture with cornstarch and continue to stir constantly as sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve over a bed of brown rice or quinoa (optional) with carrots on the side.
Adapted from Hungry Hungry Hippie
Don’t forget to enter to win two bags of R.A.W. Real and Wonderful nut bars! Simply “like” the giveaway post on Facebook for your chance to win!