Comforting Sticky Orange Tempeh with Maple Thyme Carrots is a colorful vegan meal the whole family will enjoy!
For the vegetables:
- 7 large carrots, ends removed
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the tempeh:
- 2-8oz blocks tempeh
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce (sub tamari for GF)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Slice carrots into fry-like shapes and place on two lined baking sheets (or one extra large baking sheet) with broccoli florets so everything is in an even layer.
- Mix together melted coconut oil, thyme, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Drizzle over veggies and toss to combine. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempeh marinade by whisking together the orange juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, soy sauce and thyme. If the coconut oil solidifies, microwave the mixture for 10 seconds.
- Cut each block of tempeh into 8 squares, then cut each square diagonally into a triangle. Flip triangles on their sides and slice it in half to make thin triangles. Place chopped tempeh in an even layer in a baking dish or Tupperware. Pour marinade over top and allow mixture to sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium high heat. Once hot, add tempeh cubes (reserve marinade). Sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to brown tempeh on all sides. Add the remaining marinade (including any solidified coconut oil) and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. The sauce should be bubbling. Sprinkle mixture with cornstarch and continue to stir constantly as sauce thickens.
- Serve tempeh over rice with vegetables.