A comforting, vegan-friendly entree featuring hearty tempeh and sweet and salty roasted carrots.
For the carrots:
- 6 large carrots, ends removed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the tempeh:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut cut carrots into fry-like shapes and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with melted coconut oil, maple syrup, thyme, garlic and salt. Toss well to combine. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempeh marinade by whisking together the orange juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, soy sauce and thyme. If the coconut oil solidifies, microwave the mixture for 10 seconds.
- Place cubed tempeh in an even layer in a dish or Tupperware. Pour marinade over top and allow mixture to marinate for thirty minutes.
- Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium high heat. Once hot, add tempeh cubes (reserve marinade for later). Sautee for about three minutes, stirring frequently to brown tempeh on all sides. Add the remaining marinade (including any coconut oil that has solidified) and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. The sauce should be bubbling. Sprinkle mixture with cornstarch and continue to stir constantly as sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve over a bed of brown rice or quinoa (optional) with carrots on the side.
Adapted from Hungry Hungry Hippie