This easy and impressive Spinach, Mushroom and Artichoke Quiche with Spelt Crust makes the loveliest brunch dish! Or enjoy it for dinner with a leafy green salad.
I’m such a quiche girl.
Despite my deep dark love for all things quichey, I hadn’t dared to make my own crust until this very moment. Pie crust is scary! It’s one of those intimidating baking endeavors that’s actually SO much easier than it looks. Flour, garlic, herbs, olive oil, and water—wam bam boom! Simply mix ’em together and say hello to the most glorious 100% whole grain crust. I love spelt flour because it’s so light tasting, but you can use whole wheat or all purpose if that’s what you have on hand. You can also use any herbs you’d like, fresh or dried. We’re not picky, here.
Delish and nutrish!
Now let’s talk filling for this Spinach, Mushroom, and Artichoke Quiche with Spelt Crust. It’s loaded with my favorite veggie staples: spinach, mushrooms, and marinated artichoke hearts for a little flare. I always keep a jar of artichoke hearts in the fridge because they add flavor and oomph to pasta and salads and lookie here, QUICHE! I’ve been keeping shallots around (I adore the flavor they add to salad dressing) because they’re a bit more delicate than onion, but onion will work totally fine as well. Broccoli, peppers, asparagus, kale…they’ll all be yummy here if shrooms and spinach aren’t in your crisper drawer.
Fire up the mimosas and/or coffee and lettuce cheers to the yummiest meal of the day!Print
For the crust:
- 1 cup spelt flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the quiche:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot (or onion)
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3oz crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9 or 10-in cast iron skillet or pie pan with cooking spray.
- Add spelt flour, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Whisk together oil in water in a separate bowl. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until a dough ball forms.
- Press dough into pan until it’s evenly spread on bottom and up sides. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot plus a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for a few minutes, or until softened. Add mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until softened and starting to brown. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Season with a pinch or salt and pepper. Stir in artichokes and set aside to cool.
- Wipe clean bowl used for crust. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir in feta. Pour vegetable mixture onto uncooked crust. Top evenly egg and cheese mixture.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until set. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 6-8 slices. Serve with greens dressed with lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper if desired!