Packed with veggies, tangy feta, and fluffy eggs, this delicious Mediterranean Vegetable Quiche is a wholesome breakfast, lunch or dinner option!
Quiche is my new favorite brunch food group. In addition to these fluffy lemon blueberry pancakes, of course.
Fluffy eggs, flaky crust, dreamy cheese, assorted veggies and fresh herbs...I'm getting all hot and bothered just thinking about the possibilities. Serve it up in the cutest pie plate, preferably fluted.
Key ingredients and tips
This vegetable quiche recipe is a stunner and will be sure to impress the whole fam! Leftovers reheat great, too.
- Crust: We're making a super easy and simple crust with whole wheat flour but pre-bought crust or puff pastry would be fun, too!
- Eggs: Six large eggs are perfect here.
- Veggies: Mushrooms, zucchini, tomato, spinach onion, garlic provide mega flavor here. Bell pepper, sun dried tomatoes, and broccoli would also be awesome. Get inspired by your produce drawer! You can even throw in leftover roasted veggies.
- Milk: I always keep unsweetened almond milk on hand, but whole, 2% or whatever you have will be great! You could even do that half and half you use in your coffee.
- Feta cheese: For tang and Mediterranean flare, yummmm. Goat cheese would also fab! Sprinkling extra cheese on top is highly recommended.
- Herbs: Oregano in the filling for extra oomph and "I just love rosemary in the crust for something different. Basil would also be great.
What veggies go with quiche?
Any vegetables that you love roasted will be delish in quiche. You just want to make sure you sauté them first so you're not left with a soggy bottom or under-baked center. Oh heavens no!
I love using onion, pre-cooked sweet potatoes or squash, bell pepper, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and zucchini.
Why is my quiche soggy?
- Undercooking the vegetables before hand may cause too much water to be released while cooking, especially with more watery veggies.
- Too much milk means the proteins in your eggs couldn't set, leading to a runny quiche.
- Over-baking the quiche can also cause eggs to release water, so just bake till it's set.
How to reheat
You can always nuke a slice in the microwave but for that lovely crisp crust, warm the quiche in the oven at 350F for about 25 minutes.
This recipe is crazy forgiving. You can pretty much use whatever veggies and cheese you have in the fridge. Chopped bell pepper and basil and mozzarella with fresh parm on top would also be lovely.
Would you believe me if I told you I'd never made homemade crust until this here vegetarian quiche? It's the truth! Making crust was on my baking to-do list next to making bread. And gingerbread man cookies. And pizza dough. All the carby thangs!
But bread requires yeast and kneading and proofing and waiting for days and things that make me want to crawl under the covers and hide.
I'm already dreaming about a version of this recipe with butternut squash and thyme and fontina cheese. And perhaps even a quiche made with no eggs at all (is that still a quiche?) but instead like oh I don't know...dark chocolate and jam and brie.
This is one of those recipes that really makes you feel like a cook. Serve this gem with a side salad (love this dressing recipe) and devour like the cook you are!Print
This delicious Mediterranean Vegetable Quiche is a wholesome breakfast, lunch or dinner option! It's packed with veggies, tangy feta, and fluffy eggs.
For the crust:
- 1 cup white whole wheat or all purpose flour
- ¼ cup oil (I used avocado oil)
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (or basil)
For the quiche:
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (can sub bell pepper)
- 1 cup chopped spinach or kale, packed
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- ⅓ cup feta cheese (or goat cheese)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Reduce oven to 375F. Spray a round pie dish with cooking spay.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and water until thickened. Stir in herbs. Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spread dough into pie dish, using your finger tips to spread it up onto the sides of the dish (you can also use a rolling pin to flatten it before putting in pan).
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomato, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until veggies have softened. Add greens and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until wilted. Transfer veggies into dish with the uncooked crust.
- Whisk eggs, milk, feta, and cheddar together in a medium bowl. Pour over veggies. Top with a sprinkle of extra cheddar if desired. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until quiche has set. Let quiche cool for 15 minutes before slicing and enjoy!
Keywords: veggie quiche