Healthy Buffalo Cauliflower Dip is creamy, decadent, and amazing for parties! You'd never guess it was dairy free and packed with protein.
I originally published this dip recipe in 2016. Jeff said, "Mmmmm. Good job, boo! Just don't tell people it's vegan. Or what's in it." No one is dying to know there's legumes hiding in the shadows, I get it.
Remember my vegan queso? You'll want to dip chips and celery and carrots and fingers and toes in this too, I promise!
- Raw cashews: For that creamy, velvetty richness we all know and love.
- Cauliflower: I steam a bag from frozen, making the prep a breeze. Cauliflower adds a wonderful thick texture here.
- Chickpeas: Another textural sub for chicken in classic buffalo dip, chickpeas also add a hefty punch of fiber and plant protein. White beans would also work.
- Hot sauce: I used Frank's red hot because is there really any other? Flavor town! Stick with a milk one versus tabasco or anything super strong or the dip will be crazy spicy.
- Lemon juice: another bright acidic kick.
- Nutritional yeast: This adds that quintessential cheezy flavor. You can find nooch at Kroger, Whole Foods, Amazon, etc.
- Spices: garlic and onion for good measure.
How to make healthy buffalo dip
The ingredient list is pretty simple, so let's talk execution. Three steps and BOOM, we're dipping.
- Soak your cashews. Even just 10 minutes in hot water will do in a pinch!
- Steam the cauliflower. The microwave works great.
- Blend cashews, cauliflower, hot sauce, water, lemon and spices in the food processor until smooth. Done!
Since there's a hefty amount of hot sauce in here, this dip will last up to a week in the fridge. I haven't tried freezing it!
To reheat, simply nuke a portion in the microwave or warm it in the oven.
How to serve this for a party
You can serve this dip hot from the oven or cold out of the fridge, but I love it most warm. You could also keep it warm in a slow cooker for a gathering! You can easily double the recipe, too.
More party appetizers
- Easy Vegan Queso
- Baked Pumpkin Hummus Dip with Goat Cheese
- Basil Hummus Stuffed Mushrooms
- Sweet Potato Goat Cheese Bites
- Baked Kale and Artichoke Dip
The second people learn something is vegan, they automatically think it'll taste like socks. Let their innocent tastebuds relish in the sheer cheezy, buffalo-y glory that is this dip without knowing it's packed with good-for-you ingredients and all the flavor on planet earth.
Laugh your evil laugh in the background as your guests gather around the TV shoveling cauliflower, chickpeas, and cashews down their traps thinking it's cheez whiz.
Healthy buffalo dip HEAVEN.Print
This addictive Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Dip is super creamy, decadent, and secretly healthy. You'd never guess it was vegan, gluten-free, and packed with protein. Make it for the big game or as an appetizer for your next dinner party.
- 1-12oz bag frozen cauliflower florets, steamed according to package directions
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 1-15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup original Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- ½ cup water
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Place cashews in a bowl of warm water for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an 8x8in baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add to the bowl of a large food processor the steamed cauliflower, cashews, chickpeas, hot sauce, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder. Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy, which will take several minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Transfer dip to baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, turn the oven to broil, (keep the oven open) and cook for 5 minutes longer. Serve with chips or veggies for dipping. I like it hot or cold! Dip will last at least a week in the fridge.
Keywords: healthy buffalo dip, vegan buffalo dip, buffalo cauliflower dip
Recipe by Alexis Joseph of Hummusapien™. Photos by Eat Love Eats.