The easiest healthy vegan queso dip made with only 5 ingredients. No one will know it’s vegan, gluten-free, and that it only takes 10 minutes to whip up!
I really never meant to make queso. Kay-soh. Cheeze in Spanish.
Want to know how it all happened? Imma tell you how it all happened. I was minding my own business making a batch of my fave vegan enchiladas and while I was taste testing (as I always do), I thought about how the base of the enchiladas kind of looks and tastes like nacho cheese.
But in the best way. Not the painfully yellow gunk at the stadium, but the good kind. Is there even a good kind? There is today!
I kind of felt like I was eating nacho cheese Doritos. The turmeric gives it this awesome color, and the medium heat chunky salsa adds the perfect spice and overall flavor. It was love at first lick with this vegan queso!
This is the easiest recipe ever. Blend, eat, repeat. As far as ingredients go, make sure your cashews are raw, not roasted or salted. The bell pepper and salsa provide the liquid to help blend ’em into creamy, cheese-like greatness. My go-to salsa is Ohio-made Frog Ranch, but use whatever you fancy. Nutritional yeast (which you can find at pretty much any grocery store these days) gives it just enough cheezy flavor. A pinch of salt, some anti-inflammatory turmeric for color, and that is IT for this vegan queso, my friends.
Five ingredients. Ten minutes. DIEZ MINUTOS MIS AMIGOS!!! (Insert monkey with hands on head emoji here.)
I wish there was a football championship or something on for me to have an excuse to make this every single day. An excuse to act like I like watching football, not just staring at the screen and eating football-like food.
The best part is that you can do so much more with this than slather it on tortilla chips. Last night I combined it with a can of spicy black beans and some spinach before I stuffed it into corn tortillas, covered it in enchilada sauce, and baked at 350F for 30 minutes. You could also use it this vegan queso recipe a sauce for roasted broccoli or cauliflower.
And if you tell me you’re gonna just be that person who eats it with a spoon…I’ll just be over here like, “Kay, so?”
The easiest healthy queso dip made with only 5 ingredients. No one will know it’s vegan, gluten-free, and that it only takes 10 minutes to whip up. Only 83 calories, 4 grams of fat per serving!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked if you don’t have high speed blender)
- 1 cup medium chunky salsa
- 1 small red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional but recommended for color)
- If not using a high-speed blender or Nutribullet, soak cashews in a bowl of warm water for a few hours or overnight.
- If using high speed blender or Nutribullet, place cashews in a bowl with warm water. Set aside while you chop pepper.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Serve at room temperature or warm in a saucepan to desired temperature with veggies or tortilla chips.