This irresistibly creamy one-pot Healthy Salmon Corn Chowder is super easy and packed with veggies. Dairy and gluten-free!
ChowDUH. This soup is the bee’s knees. It’s fresh and hearty and creamy and wholesome all rolled into one giant dream boat. I’d hug it if the pot wasn’t so damn hot!
Most recipes for corn chowder call for some combination of milk, cream, and cheese for that thick + creamy factor. And they work, quite well in fact! But you know I’m always up for the challenge to create meals that anyone and everyone can enjoy. Whether you have a dairy intolerance or a personal preference or you simply like to play with foods in cool new ways like I do, this soup is insaaaaanely creamy thanks to the loveliest nut of all: the humble cashew.
Definitely googled how to spell that one.
So I have two funny things to tell you about this healthy Salmon Corn Chowder recipe. First, I know it would still be really delish sans salmon, whether you’re vegan or you just don’t have any on hand. I also think you could use canned salmon (just add it at the end since it’s pre-cooked). Sounds weird since salmon is in the title, but trust me—the lemon and dill and cashews plus all the veggies make a lovely soup in their own right. I’m going to make it again with double the corn and no salmon so I’ll let you know how it goes.
Second, I took these photos with my iPhone. Lolz. Waaaa? It was kind of amazing. Basically I was standing on a chair per usual trying to get some good pictures of this chowda with my camera and it just wasn’t in the stars for me. It wasn’t light enough outside and all the pictures looked weirdly blue. Not to mention the fact that lately my camera doesn’t feel like focusing. I think I need a new one. Blerg.
Anywho, your face deserves a warm bowl of this greatness!! It’s truly a one pot wonder meal. If you do indeed whip up a batch, be sure to tag me and add #hummusapien so I see it!
One last word to the wise: do NOT leave out the lemon. Adding acid at the end of soup making is the key to that bright flavor that brings everything together. If you don’t have lemon, use a splash of vinegar.
Soup on, good people. Soup on!Print
This irresistibly creamy Healthy Salmon Corn Chowder is packed with veggies and cashew cream for the tastiest, most comforting healthy soup. The best part is how easy this one pot meal is! Dairy and gluten-free.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced (1 heaping cup)
- 2 large carrots, diced (1 heaping cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless wild salmon fillet, cubed (or a 16oz can wild salmon, bones and skin removed)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Big squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover with water. Set aside to soak.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper plus a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables soften. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add potatoes, broth and corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heal to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add salmon and cook for a few minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove pot from heat.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Blend with 1 cup water in a high-speed blender or Nutribullet until completely smooth and creamy. Stir into soup along with dill, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add a big squeeze of lemon juice to bring it all together and enjoy!