The creamiest, healthiest Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup there ever was…comfort food in a bowl!
I very seriously considered calling this soup “The Best Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup There Ever Was, Ever.”
Would I ever lie to you? Is the sky green? Is hummus disgusting?
I wasn’t fibbing when I I told you these black bean brownies taste nothing like beans. Or that this double chocolate ice cream most definitely does not taste like an avocado party in yo’ mouth. Or when I said that people would think you were joking if you admitted there was quinoa in these strawberry oat bars. And the fact that these gingerbread blondies are made with chickpeas?! GAHHHHH you’d never know!!!
I am the
Lorax Hummusapien. I speak for the trees superfoods. I speak for the superfoods for the superfoods have no tongues.
And the truth is that this Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup is the bees knees. I made three batches in a row for Alchemy’s soup of the day, but I made so much that I honestly had no idea how to scale it down to non-restaurant proportions. When I make soup, I hardly ever measure anything or write down what’s in it. This time I swore I would record everything because there was no way I couldn’t share this creamy, dreamy, broccoli beauty with you.
Want to know the secret? Okay. It’s cashews.
The cashews are everything.
They’re like spanx. Or truffle oil. They make everything look and taste and feel so much better.
There really is no substitution here for cashews, my friends. I say this because I know I’m going to get asked. It would be like trying to make brownies without cocoa powder or scrambled eggs without eggs. It’s just not really possible. So if you’re allergic to nuts, go make this lentil soup instead. Seriously. It’s nut-free and super tasty!
I’m noticing that ever since my boyfriend and I broke up, I’ve been more into food than ever. Maybe it’s because now I can spend all my free time cooking and eating and then writing about what I cooked and ate?
WOAH did this post just get a little personal?!
Moral of the story…I’m may just marry this easy Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup. You’re all invited to the wedding.
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz broccoli (about 7 cups, packed)
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- freshly ground pepper
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water. Soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. (I brewed water in a tea kettle, poured the boiling water over the cashews, and let them soak for 15 minutes. If you have a high-speed blender, they won't need to soak long.)
- Add oil to a large pot (I used my dutch oven) over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about three minutes. Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes. Add garlic and broccoli and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add 5 cups water, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water in a blender (I used my Nutribullet). Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Set the cashew cream aside.
- Puree soup using a large blender or immersion blender. You'll likely have to do this in batches.
- Once soup is pureed, stir in cashew cream. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.