The creamiest, most delicious Vegan Broccoli Soup there ever was. This easy recipe is perfect for cozy lunches. You'd never guess it's healthy and dairy-free! Comfort food in a bowl.
I may just marry this sensational soup. And you're all invited to the wedding.
I tell you no lie when I say this recipe tastes just as decadent and satisfying as classic creamy broccoli soup but is totally dairy-free. Who woulda thought? She's like a cousin to my famous Creamy Vegan Broccoli Cauliflower Soup and Vegetable Soup. The variations just keep getting better!
Now listen. When I make vegan soup recipes, I hardly ever measure anything the first time. I know, it's bad. Then I kick myself when it turns out delish! This time I swore I would record everything because there was no way I couldn't share this dream boat of a broccoli beaut with you. And here we are!
How to make vegan broccoli soup
- First, soak your cashews so they're easy to blend.
- Sauté onion until softened. Add carrot and celery and cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend water and cashews to make cashew cream. Stir into soup.
- Puree mixture with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice and devour!
Key ingredients and substitutions
Want to know the secret? Okay. It's cashews. They're everything. They're like Spanx. Or truffle oil. They make everything look and taste and feel so much better.
- Broccoli: There's a lot of broccoli in this recipe because it's the star! Fresh or frozen works. You can use the stems, but I love using all florets. You could also do a mix of broccoli and cauliflower.
- Cashews: Raw cashews blended with water make the dairy free "cream" in place of heavy cream in this recipe. Unfortunately there isn't a cashew sub here.
- Mirepoix: The golden mix of onion, carrot and celery build the flavor of this soup.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic for necessary aromatics. Use more if you're a garlic lover!
- Water or broth: For the liquid in the soup. Use broth for extra flavor and season it to taste with salt.
- Salt and pepper: Very important for rounding out the flavor, especially if you use water!
- Lemon juice: This is key for brightness to round out the flavor.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Yes! I like to use a 16oz bag of frozen broccoli florets. You could also use 2 10oz bags--more broccoli isn't a problem!
Tips for success
- Use a high speed blender or Nutribullet to blend the cashews. You want it thick and creamy and fully blended, like nut milk!
- Go heavy on the seasonings. Especially if you use water, salt plays a big role in flavor here so use a heavy hand.
- Make it your own and have fun with it! Add nutritional yeast, extra lemon juice, vegan bacon, or baguette croutons for crunchy textures.
What makes this soup healthy?
As a dietitian, I love that this soup isn't just easy, but it's also brimming with nutrients like fiber, vitamin A, and omega-3 fatty acids!It's truly a healthy hug in a bowl! In addition to being dairy-free, it's also gluten-free, grain-free, and soy-free.
While boasting those awesome healthy fats, this soup is also much lower in saturated fat than classic broccoli soup. It's definitely all around lighter, but still tastes unreal! With all the extra veggies, it's high in filling fiber, too.
- Stir in some vegan cheese or extra nutritional yeast for a flavor boost.
- Swap the water for broth for extra depth of flavor. (Start with less salt if you use broth!
- Add a chopped potato for some texture and creaminess.
How to store
This soup will last up to five days in the fridge in an air-tight container. I like to use Mason jars.
Can the soup be frozen?
Yes! Place cooled soup in a large freezer baggie and lay flat to freeze. It will last three months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then warm on the stove once you're ready to eat!
More delicious vegan soup recipes
- Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Lemon Chickpea Rice Soup
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Corn Chowder with Quinoa
- Minestrone Soup
The creamiest, healthiest Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup there ever was...comfort food in a bowl!
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 20oz fresh or frozen broccoli florets, chopped (about 6-7 cups)
- 6 cups water or broth, divided
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste) + freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- optional: ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with hot water. Soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Add oil to a large pot (I used my dutch oven) over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about three minutes. Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes. Add garlic and broccoli and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add 5 cups water, 1 ½ tsp salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water in a blender (I used my Nutribullet). Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Add to soup.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. You can also do this in batches using a high speed blender. I like to leave some broccoli chunky for texture. Season to taste with lemon juice for brightness, salt (I use 2 tsp with water for liquid) and pepper. You can also add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar for extra tang. I like to add nutritional yeast for umami and cheesy flavor!
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup