Super easy and creamy Instant Pot Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup is the ultimate winter meal! Stovetop option included.
So 2019 was the year of falling in love with the Instant Pot. I blame Jeff.
He fell head over heels for it, making his lunches in this magical machine daily. Naturally I had to see what all the fuss was about. And alas, I get it!
It's a miracle worker. It gives an entirely new meaning to "set it and forget it." I was so afraid to learn how to use it but the reality is that it couldn't be simpler to use.
I'm still obsessed with my Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup and of course my top-rated Yummiest Vegetable Soup, but this Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup maaaay be my favorite soup of all time.
It's just so...craveable. You'll have to make it to know what I mean, mmmk? Mmmk.
I grew up looooooving cream of mushroom and wild rice soup. Ya know, like the Panera kind in a sourdough bread bowl the size of my head. Is there even any other kind? But wait...the bread bowl. I DIE FOR IT.
This dairy-free version requires no cream but still somehow tastes decadently creamy and fantastically satisfying. Truly comfort food in a bowl!
The key is cashews. Because you know, the key is always cashews. Simply give them a soak, blend with water until luxuriously smooth and creamy, then stir into the soup. Cashews + liquid = magic. Instant creaminess.
And get this---pressure cooking preserves nutrients in food better than any other cooking method! That's right, it's not temperature that harms the nutrients in food, it's the length of cooking.
Wild rice fun facts
We don't want a blend here, we want 100% wild rice. If you use another kind of rice, the cooking time will vary. You can find wild rice at Trader Joe's and Giant Eagle in good sized bags versus the 4oz boxes some stores carry. I used this one.
Did you know wild rice isn't actually rice at all? It's technically a type of grass grown in freshwater that has seeds resembling rice. Since it looks and cooks like rice, it's called rice. It's known for its robust, nutty flavor.
Wild rice is rich in manganese, phosphorus, and zinc and has more protein than any other kind of rice.
Can I make Instant Pot soup on the stovetop?
No Instant Pot? Have no fear! See the recipe notes for full-proof instructions on making this soup on the stove.
Simply soak the cashews and then sauté in olive oil the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and salt in a dutch oven over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add spices, wild rice, and broth.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Proceed with step three. Done!
Behold, SOUP SEASON.
Craving more soup goodness? Don't miss my other stellar soup recipes!
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Yummiest Vegetable Soup
- Healthy Salmon Corn Chowder
- Golden French Lentil Soup
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
The most comforting soup in all the land! This super easy and healthy Instant Pot Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup is the ultimate cold-weather meal. See recipe notes for stovetop version.
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion (1 medium onion), diced
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrot (4 medium carrots)
- 1 ½ cup chopped celery (4 ribs celery)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (2 cups, add more if you love mushrooms!)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ¾ cup uncooked wild rice (do not use a blend)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (sub tamari for gluten free)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with very hot water and let soak while you make the recipe.
- Place remaining ingredients except soy sauce and spinach in the Instant Pot. Cook on manual, high pressure for 40 minutes. Note that it takes ~10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure before it starts cooking and counting down. Once it's done, carefully quick release any remaining steam using the valve on top. Remove the lid and turn the machine off.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Place in blender (I used my Nutribullet) with 1 cup water and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Stir into soup along with soy sauce and spinach. Serve with crusty bread or croutons, of course!
Stovetop version: Follow step 1 and then sauté in olive oil the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and salt in a dutch oven over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add spices, wild rice, and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Proceed with step three.
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom rice soup, vegan instant pot soup