Rich and creamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats, a filling oatmeal breakfast that tastes like a peanut butter cup! Spend 5 minutes and wake up to a scrumptious, lower-sugar, protein-packed breakfast you can grab and go. Double the recipe for healthy meal prep breakfasts all week long!
Portable, insanely delish, made in one bowl, packed with nutrients and super easy to make...what's not to love about overnight oatmeal that taste like dessert?! Plus, they're actually filling.
If you're as obsessed with oatmeal for breakfast as I am, you must try my strawberry overnight oats, carrot cake overnight oats, and chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cups.
- Old-fashioned oats: Also known as rolled oats, this is the base of our overnight oats recipe, which are not meant to be eaten hot. We don't want instant, quick cook or steel cut oats here (save those for overnight steel cut oats!).
- Almond milk: I love this for the liquid base, but you can use any milk you like or have on hand, like oat milk, cow's milk, or coconut milk for extra decadence.
- Greek yogurt: You can use nonfat, 2% or whole. I like 2% for a bit of fat which improves the texture and mouthfeel. I use unsweetened, but vanilla works too.
- Chia seeds: To thicken the mixture and add a dose of filling fiber and healthy fats.
- Peanut butter: The star of the show for peanut flavor and creamy texture. I like salted peanut butter with just peanuts and salt for the ingredients.
- Honey or maple syrup: I tested this recipe with both sweeteners and they both work great to add a light pop of sweetness. You can use more or less depending on your taste buds!
- Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder that you'd use for baking or raw cacao powder (here's why I love raw cacao) both work great for mega chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla is a must for bringing out the delicious chocolate flavor to set these oats apart from the rest!
- Salt: Salt is so important for flavor yet so many overnight oat recipes don't include it. A key ingredient for rounding out the flavors!
See recipe card below for full ingredient list.
Substitutions and dietary preferences
- Dairy free: You can omit the yogurt and replace with dairy free milk, or use dairy free yogurt.
- Gluten free: Use certified gluten free oats.
- Nut free: Use oat or soy milk and tahini or sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.
How to make
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Whisk until smooth. Portion into 2 containers. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy cold out of the fridge with toppings!
- Chocolate peanut butter strawberry: Add a cup of diced strawberries.
- Mocha: Add ½ tsp instant espresso powder or use ¼ cup brewed coffee in place of that much milk.
- PB&J: Add a tablespoon of strawberry or grape jam.
- Protein oats: Add a scoop of protein powder or 1 tbsp hemp seeds for even more staying power.
What makes these healthy?
You know the dietitian in me loves perfecting healthy, tasty, accessible breakfast options!
- Oats are loaded with beta-glucan soluble fiber, which improves satiety, increases diversity of the gut, and helps fight constipation.
- Oats also pack 6g plant protein in ½ cup plus a wide variety of micronutrients like manganese (190% of daily value in ½ cup), iron (20%), phosphorus (41%), magnesium (34%) and zinc (20%).
- Regular consumption of polyphenols in cacao help reduce risk of heart disease.
- With nearly 8g protein per ounce, peanuts are the highest protein nut!
How to store
Store oats in the fridge for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Did you know you can freeze overnight oats, too? Totally doing this postpartum!
Freeze portions in a greased muffin tin. Once frozen, place in a freezer baggie and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and top as you would normally!
I hope you're as obsessed with this fun recipe as I am!
I'd be super grateful if you'd take a moment to leave a quick star rating and review below. Comments mean the world to me and your honest feedback helps me to continue to share recipes you'll crave!Print
Nourishing Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Rich and creamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats, a healthy oatmeal breakfast that tastes like a peanut butter cup! Spend 5 minutes and wake up to a scrumptious, lower-sugar, protein-packed breakfast you'll keep coming back to. Double the recipe for meal prep breakfasts all week long!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (I use 2%)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp natural salted peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup (more to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- optional for topping: sliced bananas, chopped peanuts, cacao nibs
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Taste and add more maple syrup or honey if you prefer it sweeter. Portion into two containers, cover, and refrigerate for up to 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy chilled with toppings!
This was the PERFECT way to start my day and curb my sweet tooth !! Left me fueled and satisfied!!!!
Alexis Joseph says
Yayyy thanks so much, Rachel!!
To be honest, when I mixed this recipe up, I tasted it, and it tasted kind of bland to me. I really didn’t think I was going to like it. But after it sit overnight, the flavors really popped and it does taste a lot like a Reese’s cup. my one year old granddaughter loves them.
Will definitely be making this recipe a lot!
Alexis Joseph says
I'm so glad the flavors popped overnight and that your LO enjoyed it 🙂 Thanks, Cheryl!
These are my first ever overnight oats and I love them. I stirred in chopped strawberries too which made it even more delicious.
Alexis Joseph says
That sounds incredible! I’m so glad you loved them!
I was on a kick with your strawberry ones and tried these to change it up. Wow. SO GOOD!
Kori Daniel says
Fantastic recipe! I am a huge fan of pb and anything chocolate pb. These were amazing to wake up to being ready to enjoy.
Alexis Joseph says
Awww you made my day, thank you SO much Kori!!