The fact that you can mix like five things together and wake up to breakfast all ready to go is the best thing since sliced bread.
For whatever reason, the concept of overnight oats perplexes people. Do you cook the oats? Do you eat them warm? Do you eat them cold? WHAT IS THE DEAL HERE.
The simple answer is that the ball is in your court. The marbles are in your jar. Errr…the oats.
Jars! You should totally make these in a cute little mason jar so you can legit just grab it in the morning when you woke up on the wrong side of the bed twenty eight minutes later than you wanted to and you don’t know where your right shoe is let alone what the hell you’re gonna eat for breakfast. Not like that ever happens to me.
Overnight oats in effect “cook” overnight in the liquid, AKA they soften up so there’s no need to ever actually cook them. If you don’t like cold oats, feel free to heat them up on the stove or in the micro till they’re warmed through. I love topping these with toasty walnuts (just bake at 350F for 10 minutes), coconut, more banana, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Almond butter makes quite a terrific topper as well. The funnest part is topping, no doubt.
Overnight oats are typically made with yogurt, but the shredded zucchini and chia seeds make them plenty thick/creamy enough.
And who on God’s green earth wouldn’t be a fan of sneaking a serving of veggies into their breakfast routine?
Hip hip, zucchini!
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1⅓ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Toppings of choice: walnuts, sliced banana, almond butter, chocolate chips, coconut, maple syrup, etc
- Place banana in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, top with desired toppings and eat at room temperature or warmed to your liking.
[Tweet “Breakfast is served! Banana Zucchini Overnight Oats via @TheHummusapien”]