The most epic Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Skillet Cookie with a gooey center and crisp edges, just like the classic! This festive treat is guaranteed to conquer all your chocolate cravings.
I made one gigantical cookie for your face and maybe that of a friend.
A reeeeeeeal good friend. One that picks you up when you’re down and makes you laugh so hard you have to pee. One that always offers to drive and brings you soup when you throw out your back.
Because that’s how fantastical this Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Skillet Cookie is. It’s next level delish and worthy of a queen!!
Want to know how I ate this here cookie? Okay fine I’ll tell you. I didn’t cut it into nice slices like a normal human, heavens no. I took a big spoon and proceeded to eat it directly from the middle, melty chocolate chips and all. IT WAS EVERYTHING.
PSA: I found the most baller all natural mini candy canes at Target for super cheap and they add the best crunch to the top of this massive cookie. I also got my Lodge cast iron skillet there and I’ve been cooking everything it is. I love that it’s pre-seasoned! I was scared to use it for so long because I didn’t know the ins and outs of cast iron but now I feel like a champ with it. For all my pals without stand mixers, this handheld one does the trick just fine.
Let it rain candy canes!!!
If you’re not vegan, go ahead and use a regular egg and regular butter. No harm done! You can also really use whatever flour suits your fancy (within reason—no, coconut flour will not work here). If you’re gluten-free, I’m nearly positive Bob’s 1 for 1 GF baking flour would work wonders. I used white whole wheat flour from Trader Joe’s for a little whole grain punch but all purpose would also be lovely.
You must must must must eat this will vanilla ice cream!! It’s a non-negotiable. Nada Moo vanilla is my absolute favorite because it’s made with coconut milk and super creamy but not crazy high in sugar.
I’m so freaking excited for you to make this epic Peppermint Chocolate Skillet Cookie. I think it’s Christmas morning breakfast material! Praise hands emoji all day.
Ugh chocolate is my love language.
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- ½ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), room temperature/softened
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (can sub organic brown sugar)
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (can sub unbleached all purpose flour or GF baking flour)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crushed candy cane, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet. If you don't have a skillet, use a round pie pan.
- Whisk together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl with electric beaters (or In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment), cream the vegan butter and both sugars until fluffy, about two minutes. Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and flax mixture and mix until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until a dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Spread mixture into prepared skillet. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until center is set. Cool for 15 minutes and garnish with crushed candy canes.