The most epic Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Skillet Cookie with a gooey center and crisp edges, just like the classic! This festive treat is guaranteed to conquer all your chocolate cravings.
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), room temperature/softened
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub organic brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (can sub unbleached all purpose flour or GF baking flour)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crushed candy cane, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a skillet, use a round pie pan.
- Whisk together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl with electric beaters (or In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment), cream the vegan butter and both sugars until fluffy, about two minutes. Add vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and flax mixture and mix until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until a dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Spread mixture into prepared skillet. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until center is set. Cool for 15 minutes and garnish with crushed candy canes.