All the meaty meatless thangs there ever were are right here in this very chili.
Because no one wants to do dishes when it’s thirty degrees outside. We want to sip coffee with cinnamon and chow down on sweet gingerbread nothings while things cook in one pot. While dishes don’t pile up. While the counters clean themselves.
I’m a huge tofu fan but never have I ever put the ‘fu in chili. Why, you ask?
I have no answer for you there. Tofu is magical in the way that it takes on the flavor of pretty much anything. It’s basically an edible sponge. A high-protein, tasteless sponge. How appetizing does that sound right now? Raise your hand if you’re thrilled to whip up a batch of meatless tasteless sponge chili.
But seriously. The combination of tofu and mushrooms and beans galore makes this chili one for the chili books. It’s meaty without trying to be meaty. It’s savory, umami, bold. It would be insanely delish atop cornbread. Or like jalapeño cornbread studded with roasted corn slathered in something…buttery.
In order for tofu to not take on the stereotype of being a white mushy monster, you must press it. My go-to vehicle for pressing tofu is the EZ Tofu Press. It’s been the best-selling tofu press on Amazon for the past three years, which is about how long I’ve been using it.
Essentially the press efficiently removes the water from the tofu in 15 minutes or less, leaving that nice firm tofu that’s ready to absorb all the flavors and take on the world! If you’ve ever tried pressing tofu using millions of paper towels or heavy cans and books which then proceed to fall on your toes, you’ll appreciate this press even more. It costs $19.99 on Amazon, is easy to clean, and is also dishwasher safe. Dreamy!
Giveaway: The folks over at EZ Tofu Press are giving away a tofu press to one lucky reader! To enter, simply leave a comment telling me what tofu recipe you’d make with the press. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only and will end next Sunday, November 29th at 12am EST. The winner will be notified via email.
A zesty meatless chili made with mushrooms and tofu that carnivores and herbivores alike will go crazy for!
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-15oz cans beans (I used red and white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 2-15oz cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Drain and press tofu (I used my EZ Tofu Press) for at least thirty minutes or overnight,
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot/Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and peppers and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Crumble tofu and add to pot with spices. Saute for another 7-10 minutes.
- Add beans and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for about an hour, or until flavors have melded together.
[Tweet “The meatiest meatless chili! Vegan Mushroom Tofu Chili via @TheHummusapien @BenzelBen”]