A zesty meatless chili made with mushrooms and tofu that carnivores and herbivores alike will go crazy for!
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2–15oz cans beans (I used red and white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 2–15oz cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Drain and press tofu (I used my EZ Tofu Press) for at least thirty minutes or overnight,
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot/Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and peppers and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Crumble tofu and add to pot with spices. Saute for another 7-10 minutes.
- Add beans and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for about an hour, or until flavors have melded together.