Hearty Mediterranean Meal Prep Bowls with lemon tahini sauce packed with flavor for a healthy, and satisfying meal. Vegan and gluten-free!
These yummy bowls of colorful whosits and whatsits have been making me look so forward to lunch lately.
Sometimes my life lends itself to lunches that happen at 3pm. Or ones that resemble breakfast more than lunch, like eggs and toast or smoothies on the go. Lunch for me usually involves eating over a counter, likely not sitting down, and sometimes...driving. It's not the most intuitive and it's surely not my favorite meal of the day. It doesn't hold a candle to breakfast!
But sometimes I get lucky. Sometimes I think ahead! And when I do, magical things happen. Magical things with roasty toasty sweet potatoes and creamy lemon tahini sauce and peppery arugula. Are you drooling yet?
Me too, me too.
Speaking of tahini, did you know there's seven grams of protein and 10% of the daily value of calcium in two tablespoons of tahini? Good stuff! My favorite tahini is Soom Foods brand. I love that it's a woman owned company and that the sesame seeds are sourced from Ethiopia. When I was in Israel, they were adamant about the highest quality and best tasting sesame coming from Ethiopia. No bitterness here!
ALL THOSE COLORS!
All you need are roasted veggies, some kind of green, beans or whole grains, and healthy fats to make the lunch world go round.
Often times I keep them in separate containers and mix up whatever I have in the fridge before I leave---pesto, leftover brown rice, a can of chickpeas, jarred artichoke hearts, sauerkraut, capers, arugula, whatever. I'm all about tang, so I usually reach for something pickled or fermented in my bowl.
These Mediterranean Meal Prep Bowls feature beautiful roasted veggies, arugula, tangy artichoke hearts, creamy avocado, and an epic lemon tahini sauce for a filling and insanely satisfying meal. So super duper hearty!
I used frozen green beans because I had them on hand, but feel free to use broccoli, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, or whatever sounds yummy to you.
I used these Pyrex glass 3-cup containers for storage. I've had them for years and I love them. Cheers to thinking ahead and all the yumminess that comes along with it!Print
These hearty Mediterranean Meal Prep Bowls with lemon tahini sauce are packed with bright, fresh flavors for a filling, healthy, and satisfying meal. Vegan and gluten-free!
For the roasted veggies:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 16oz fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed*
- 1 ½ tbsp oil of choice, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
For the lemon tahini sauce:
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black epper
- 1-6oz jar marinated artichoke hearts in oil, chopped
- 1-15oz can chickpeas
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Toss potatoes, ¾ tbsp oil, and ½ tsp salt in a bowl. Spread onto baking sheet. In the same bowl, toss green beans, remaining ¾ tbsp oil, ½ tsp salt in bowl. Spread on other baking sheet. Place both sheets in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, combine tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in water until smooth, adding another tablespoon if needed.
- In 4 3-cup rectangular glass Pyrex containers (or containers of choice), evenly distribute 3-4 artichokes, ⅓ cup chickpeas, a handful of arugula, ¾ cup roasted sweet potatoes, and ½ cup roasted green beans. Serve drizzled evenly with lemon tahini sauce. Add avocado right before serving or add the night before with a squeeze of lemon juice.
*if using fresh green beans, baking time should be closer to 30 minutes.