Oh so fluffy, tender, and moist Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins full of whole grains. These delicious muffins make the ultimate healthy snack or simple on-the-go breakfast!
What a day to be alive! It’s like my beloved Vegan Banana Bread had a baby. Or a cousin?
I had so many of you asking if that luscious loaf could be made into muffins so I tried it for myself and HOLD THE PHONE. Could anything be so perfect? You don’t have to add blueberries but honestly when is adding blueberries not a marvelous idea?
The blueberry to muffin ratio here is superb. Heavy on the bloobs, please and thanks.
Watch How to Make These Muffs (Video!)
We’re talkin’ heavenly lightly sweetened banana flavor scented with cinnamon and studded with juicy blueberries for a muffin experience that is like none other. Smells better than any candle, that’s for damn sure.
You know this isn’t my first muffin rodeo. I once, in fact, had a reader tell me that I should post something other than muffins. Ha! I agreed to disagree.
My other favorite muffs this time of year include:
One Bowl Chocolate Banana Muffins (gluten-free and sweetened with dates!)
It seems that whole wheat pastry flour has gotten a bad rap over the past few years because…gluten. I’ve been in the blogging game for eight years now and it’s fascinating to see how ingredients have changed in people’s recipes.
A lot more readers are requesting gluten-free modifications not out of necessity or because it makes them feel icky, but because they assume it’s healthier. It’s not.
Can I use another flour?
The question of the century! Whole wheat pastry flour is my go-to for light and fluffy baked goods that still pack that fiber and antioxidant punch from whole grains. You could certainly use all purpose flour and up the sweetener for more of a cupcake vibe.
I haven’t tried this muffin recipe with gluten-free flour and they will likely be denser, but I’d recommend. Do NOT sub coconut or almond flour here! They are not 1 to 1 subs and the recipe won’t turn out. I know from experience!
If you want a gluten-free muffin, I’d suggest trying these with 1 to 1 all purpose gluten free baking flour that has built in leavening agents and xantham gum to combat the denseness.
Tools to Make Fluffy Vegan Banana Blueberry Muffins:
- I love this easy to clean muffin tin. I also have this one with a convenient lid for storage or transport!
- These silicone baking cups are a LIFE SAVOR. They make clean up a breeze. No more scrubbing the muffin tin!
- Muffin scoop for easy portioning.
- Genius two-sided measuring spoons that stay together in the drawer and take up less space.
Girl, get your muffin on.Print
Fluffy Vegan Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups very overripe bananas, mashed (3 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat/all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with silicone baking cups.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Place bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add maple syrup, oil, and vanilla, stirring to combine. Stir in almond milk.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay). Gently fold in in blueberries, being careful not to over-mix.
- Fill muffins three-quarters full. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from tin to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for a couple days, refrigerate, or freeze for later.
For gluten-free, I’d suggest a 1 to 1 all purpose gluten-free baking flour.
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging