Dig into these quick and easy Healthy Taco Pizza Muffin Cups as a fun appetizer or wholesome after-school snack! Kids and adults alike will love this fun recipe.
It's like a pizza meets a taco meets a muffin. What!!!My mom used to make us pizza bagels after school when we were little and I thought it was the absolute coolest. They weren't exactly these Healthy Taco Pizza Muffin Cups, but who else chows down on homemade pizza while they're doing long division?
She'd also bring me the yummiest warm lunches to school, like piping hot rigatoni with red sauce from Alesci's with a brownie for dessert when everyone else was eating peanut butter and jelly. The woman loved food and loved me even more.
My parents raised us on exciting, creative meals and snacks never short of fruits and veggies and FUN. They taught me the true meaning of balance, of celebrating food for what it is---a gift. When I wanted a snack, my mom ask me after first if I wanted some strawberries or whole wheat crackers and if I wasn't in the mood, she's never forced anything on me.
My dad would make a wild Saturday night for us around linguine with clam sauce and chocolate soufflé. I looked forward to winter every year just for the smell of his corn and wild rice soup. I thank my parents for an extremely positive relationship with food that began as early as I can remember.
So last week when I was craving pizza but had no bagels, I thought of my mom and had the brilliant idea of turning dough into little mini pizza muffins! But not just any pizza muffins. Ones that taste like TACOS because who doesn't love salsa and pepper jack and roasty toasty corn for an afternoon pick me up? Or for the lunch of your wildest dreams. Healthy Taco Pizza Muffin Cups for the win!
If you've never had Simple Mills' pizza dough, you're in for a real treat. It tastes like the crust you know and love but it's made with almond flour, arrow root, flax, and cauliflower. With only eight ingredients, this is pizza the easy way. The wholesome way!
We're getting back to balance this season with these meal-prep friendly, portable Taco Pizza Muffin Cups; and it never tasted so good. Just imagine a doughy pizza crust base, zesty salsa, melty pepper jack cheese, and cold diced tomato, roasted corn, and crisp lettuce piled on top. Don't forget the cilantro! Who knew wholesome snacking could be so freaking drool-worthy?
Now let's make it a reality. Get ready for these Healthy Taco Pizza Muffin Cups to change your snack game!Print
Dig into these quick and easy Taco Pizza Muffin Cups as a fun appetizer or wholesome after-school snack! Kids and adults alike will love this fun recipe.
For the pizza dough:
- 1 box Simple Mills Pizza Dough (or your favorite pizza dough)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp water
- ¾ cup chunky salsa
- ¾ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded/grated
- ⅓ cup vegetarian refried beans (optional)
- 1 small tomato, diced (or a handful of grape tomatoes, quartered)
- ½ cup corn (I love roasted)
- ¾ shredded romaine lettuce
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk together oil, apple cider vinegar, and water in a large bowl (or prepare your pizza dough according to package directions). Add dry mix and stir until well combined. Oil hands and form into a dough ball.
- Roll golf-ball sized pieces of dough and press evenly into muffin tin, oiling hands as needed. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top each cup with 1 tbsp (or to taste) of salsa, 1-2 tsp refried beans, and 1 tbsp cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh tomato, corn, lettuce, and cilantro. Enjoy warm!
This post is sponsored by Simple Mills. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Hummusapien possible!