Let's have a fiesta. In our mouths.
Ya know when people get all primal on you and say legumes are lame? Well I think that's a crock. A crock of crap.
This casserole is also a crock, but a different kind. A crock of DELISH. A crock of TRUTH. Is that an oxymoron? Do all caps mean I'm yelling? I'm not really sure.
I've made my Super Easy Chickpea, Broccoli and Brown Rice Crockpot Casserole one too many times. AKA I'm sick of it. AKA I needed a new version. I think the only food I'm incapable of getting sick of is hummus. Fitting, huh?
In an effort to make something as easy and tasty as the original, I threw my favorite hot salsa, a can of black beanies, and some spices into the crock and crossed my fingers. That's how everything in life has been going these days. Throw it together and hope for the best. Then eat salted dark chocolate with almonds to make yourself feel better. Obviously.
Somehow, it worked. The crock worked its crocky magic. And get this--it came out WAY more attractive than the broccoli one. Oy vey. Not even a mother could love that face.
Can you even believe that we only have a teeny tiny window of time left to enjoy crockpot recipes?! It's about to be SPRING up in herrrrrrrrr. Are you ready to eat your weight in asparagus, radishes and peas?! Warm weather and sunshine > radishes and peas.
Watch it snow this week. Oh wait, that's actually in the forecast. I kind of sort of hate you, Ohio.
Dig in while you still can!Print
Everything you love about zesty beans and rice in convenient crockpot form!
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1-15oz can black beans, drained
- ¾ cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn (I used Trader Joe's roasted corn)
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (or more, to taste)
- Avocado, for topping
- Place all ingredients except cheese and avocado in a 5-qt crockpot. Cook on high (covered) for about 2½ hours, or until rice is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off crock-pot. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with diced avocado and more salsa on top.
Adapted from my Super Easy Chickpea, Broccoli and Brown Rice Crockpot Casserole