Delicious Tofu Tacos with peach slaw made on a sheet pan! A fresh, flavorful, healthy meal the whole family will love. Vegan + gluten-free.
My love affair with tacos isn't complicated. We just get each other. I love that tacos are casual, approachable, often served with tequila (mmm Mezcal!), chips and salsa and best friends. Going out for tacos is synonymous with FUN. And so is cooking them right at home!
I rarely see tofu tacos on restaurant menus. The veg option is usually beans. And while I love beans immensely, ya gotta keep it exciting. I love these vegetarian sheet pan tacos for a zillion reasons, but mostly because you bake everything on one pan and can whip up the peach kale slaw and warm the tortillas while the tofu bakes into crispy chewy glory.
Now have you ever had peaches in cabbage slaw? Or kale? How fun is this?! The addition of peaches to the slaw was only because I had a zillion leftover peaches in the fridge that needed using but let me tell you, it was THE most beautiful accident. And when it's fall or winter, you can swap out the peach for a pear or apple!
Let's chat about a few important notes for this taco recipe. Tofu is packed in water, so the more water you get out, the more flavor can come in. I've been using a tofu press for years, but if you don't have one, just wrap to the tofu in a dish towel and use a few cookbooks to get the water out. Try pressing it for 30 minutes and replacing the towel halfway through. If you have time to marinate the tofu in the spice mixture, do it! The longer it sits, the more flavorful it'll be.
Try pressing it for 30 minutes and replacing the towel halfway through. If you have time to marinate the tofu in the spice mixture, do it! The longer it sits the more flavorful it'll be.
If you have a huge sheet pan, feel free to increase the veggies. I only had room for two peppers as you don't want everything to touch. That leads to steaming versus roasting, and browning is what we want here! Lastly, the toppings are everything. I highly recommend serving these tacos with sliced jalapeños, salsa, and guacamole.
And don't you dare forget the guacamole.Print
Change the tofu game with these delicious Zesty Sheet Pan Tofu Tacos with Peach Kale Slaw! A fresh, flavorful, wholesome meal the entire family will devour. Vegan + gluten-free.
- 1-15.5oz pkg extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or high heat oil of choice)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (sub tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Small corn tortillas, for serving
For the slaw:
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe peach, thinly sliced (can sub pear/apple seasonally)
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut pressed tofu into 1-inch squares. In a medium bowl, stir together oil, lime juice, soy sauce, spices, salt, and cornstarch. Add tofu and stir to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes while oven preheats.
- Meanwhile, make slaw by placing kale and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Use your hands to massage kale until softened. Add cabbage, cilantro, peach, another pinch of salt, and apple cider vinegar, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- Place tofu, peppers, and onion in a single layer on baking sheet. Spray everything with cooking spray and season peppers and onions with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- To serve, layer the tofu, peppers and onions, slaw, and optional salsa and guacamole in warmed tortillas.
Keywords: tofu tacos