Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie that tastes like classic pumpkin pie in a glass! Naturally sweetened and packed with fiber. This tasty drink makes an amazing fall breakfast or nourishing snack. I love it with a little whipped cream and extra cinnamon!
I made a pumpkin pie last year and it was...just okay.
Like, not the best pie I've ever laid mouth on. I shall attempt to master a pumpkin pie again this year when Thanksgiving rolls around but in the interim, we mustn't be without pumpkin!
I admit, my healthy smoothie recipes attracts people from near and far to our restaurants each autumn, so much so that we almost started pumpkin early this year. Almost!
How to make a pumpkin smoothie
All you need is five minutes and a blender to get cozy, dears. As a dietitian, I love how healthy pumpkin is--packed with fiber and Vitamin A. Delish!
- Place pumpkin, banana, almond butter, dates, spice, and almond milk in a blender. I love my Nutribullet!
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass, top with whipped cream, and serve.
Key ingredients and substitutions
This insanely creamy smoothie is just begging to be your breakfast, snack, or dessert. I don't even wait till fall starts to make this recipe! I always have pumpkin puree adorning my pantry for when the craving strikes.
- Pumpkin: Good old caned pumpkin puree is perfection here, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Frozen banana: For creaminess and thicccckkk texture. If you only have fresh banana, you can use that and add a few ice cubes.
- Medjool dates: To natural sweeten the smoothie and add yummy caramel notes. You could also do 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup.
- Non dairy milk: I like unsweetened vanilla almond but oat, soy, cashew or whatever you have on hand would be delightful.
- Almond butter: This adds creaminess, richness, and smooth mouthful. Fat is your friend! A handful of walnuts, pecans, or cashews would also be great here.
- Pumpkin pie spice: Because it's so easy! You could sub ¾ teaspoon cinnamon + ¼ teaspoon ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, or a pinch of any of those. Whatever you have, it'll taste delish.
What to do with leftover pumpkin
I have tons of healthy pumpkin recipes on the blog that call for part of a can of pumpkin, so you have plenty of options here to put it to good use.
- Use it in Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal, Vegan Pumpkin Muffins, No Bake Pumpkin Cookies, or Pumpkin Walnut Burgers
- Stir it into oatmeal with cinnamon and a splash of maple syrup
- Freeze it in an ice cube tray for future smoothies or recipes
Fun flavor variations
Lookin' to spice it up? I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. Lately subbing in some coffee (or cold brew) is my go-to. Anyone else?
- Pumpkin spice latte: Sub brewed, chilled coffee for half or all the liquid. You could also add a splash of cold brew!
- Higher protein + lower sugar: Omit dates and add 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder. You could also swap the banana for frozen cauliflower!
- Green pumpkin pie: Make your body SING with a handful of baby spinach.
IT'S WHIPPED CREAM SEASON!
- Coco whip: store bought or make your own by whipping full fat coconut milk!
- Granola: I love the crunch of sweet and salty.
- Cereal: Again...crunch is everything. Nature' Path Heritage Flakes are my fave right now.
- Nut butter drizzle: Mmmmm a swirl of almond butter on top is so fab.
More amazing smoothie recipes
- Tart Cherry Chocolate Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Chocolate PB Zucchini Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
Grab your chunky knit sweater and slurrrrrppppp!
A creamy, healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie that tastes like classic pumpkin pie in a glass! Naturally sweetened for an irresistibly delish breakfast.
- Place all ingredients in a blender (I used a Nutribullet) and blend until smooth and creamy. Top with whipped cream if you fancy and devour!
*If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can sub ¾ teaspoon cinnamon + ¼ teaspoon ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, or a pinch of any of those.
- Pumpkin spice latte: sub brewed, chilled coffee for half or all the liquid.
- Higher protein + lower sugar: omit dates and add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder. You could also swap the banana for frozen cauliflower!
Keywords: pumpkin pie smoothie
Photos by The Nutritious Kitchen.