Has the gingerbread season come and gone? Like when exactly does the gingerbread season officially end?
I pray it wasn’t December 25th. Did I miss the cut-off?!
Worry not. I herby declare 2016 the year of bread. Yeasty bread. Garlic bread. Monkey bread. GINGABREAD.
Let’s bring carbs back in style. Remember when they were cool? Remember in 1993 when it was cool to eat bread? When gluten wasn’t synonymous with satan? Those were the glory days.
I’ve been fighting a virus all weekend. Having no appetite is the bain of my existance. I live to eat. Not eating makes me want to die. Now that I’m finally hungry again, I wanted some Paleo Pumpkin Bars like YESTERDAY but my obsession with all things chocolate and ginger lit a lightbulb in this bustling, bamboozling brain of mine. I saw no reason in the world to not add heaps of cacao and ginger to the mix.
Back to the virus. It’s leaving me less than verbose.
So I leave you with this pan of dreams that serves twelve, but realistically more like four. MUHAHA.
Serve these babies with some crusty bread and call it a meal. Insert heart eye emoji here.
- ¾ cup creamy almond butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1 overripe medium banana)
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8in square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place almond butter, pumpkin, applesauce, mollasses, maple syrup, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir until well-combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, smoothing with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.