Maple Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash, Walnuts, and Pomegranate—perfect for a healthy and festive holiday side dish! Vegan, gluten-free, and packed with fiber.
Who else always gets asked to bring the vegetable to Thanksgiving?
Same. I can’t recommend my Healthy Green Bean Casserole enough, but if you want something not creamy and more bright, these Maple Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash, Walnuts, and Pomegranate are the answer! It’s such a stunning recipe.
I’ve been making maple balsamic Brussels spouts for yeeeears now. They have a way of converting even the strongest sprout loathers into lovers. Quite impressive! The buttery coconut oil, tangy balsamic, and sweet maple come together in the most luscious way to create this bejeweled beauty of a holiday side dish. The bites of pomegranate add a juicy pop of tartness that really takes this bad boy over the edge. And to think that it’s GOOD for you! Madness.
Besides cutting the butternut squash (peeling it is the worst part if you ask me), this recipe comes together pretty easily. And if you want to buy pre-cut squash, more power to ya. Simply chop up the veggies, stir together the coconut oil, maple syrup, balsamic, salt and pepper, and mix it all together. Roast, toss with walnuts and pomegranate, and that’s it. Flavor explosions everywhere!
You’re about to be the vegetable queen at this year’s Thanksgiving. Aren’t you excited?!
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, woody ends removed and sliced in halves or thirds (about 3 cups)
- 1½ lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 3½ cups)
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ⅔ cup walnut halves or pecans, chopped
- ⅔ cup pomegranate arils or dried cranberries*
- Fresh rosemary, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper for easy cleanup. (I used one regular and one small baking sheet so I could put them on the same rack side by side in the oven.)
- Place sliced Brussels sprouts and squash in a large bowl. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, vinegar, salt, and pepper, tossing to combine.
- Spread in an even layer (try to get all the Brussels flat-side down) in an even layer on lined baking sheets. If they're overlapping, they won't brown nicely.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until veggies are tender and browned. When 5 minutes are remaining, sprinkle veggies with walnuts and return to the oven to toast for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Taste and add salt or pepper if needed. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils. Garnish with rosemary or whatever green herbs you have on hand, if desired.