Whipping out lemon poppy seed baked goods is like an unwritten rule of spring.
Like if you don't, YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US.
I kid. I randomly bought poppy seeds in the bulk bins because I was fantasizing about bagels after the dreamy one I laid mouth on this weekend. As if I'm going to go home and use those poppy seeds to make everything bagels. Ha. One tablespoon of those bad boys went into these muffins and I speculate that that's the end of that.
I don't want to make bagels. I barely wanted to make muffins.
I want to celebrate my academic freedom. I want to do nothing. I don't want to think about cooking. I just want to eat Northstar for every meal.
Believe it or not, I'm not always prancing around the kitchen eating lentils. I love blogging 98.7% of the time, but the other 1.3% of the time (did I do that math right?) I feel kind of uninspired and uninteresting. I've been eating boring food. Should I post about the tiramisu ice cream I ate in Cleveland this weekend along with 200 pictures of my two-year-old model nephew? I mean I could, but is that interesting? As a food blogger, I sometimes feel this icky pressure (that I totally put on myself) to consistently create interesting, drool-worthy content. I get claustrophobic in my own brain.
While I was driving home this weekend, I thought about how I wasn't going to cook anything meaning I would have nothing to blog about on Monday. Why do I think that way? You guys know I'm a normal person just like you. You know I'm not hiding away in my secret legume laboratory creating recipes every freaking second. I'm not even organized. I don't have ten backup posts for moments like this. And you're not going to boycott my blog if I don't post on Monday.
Moral of the story....sometimes I have nothing exciting to say and it stresses me out. Like this whole post about muffins that has nothing to do with muffins and everything to do with me betching about having nothing to say. GAH. But I swear, these taste really, really good. Today I made two recipes for you guys. I felt a gust of that inspirational wind today so and I grabbed it and baked my butt off before it flew away.
Inspiration is what fuels my voice. Inspiration is what fuels my recipes. Though we all find ourselves at a loss for words at some point or another, we always seem to find them again, right?
Today, instead of talking, let's just eat. These.Print
Made with almond butter, fresh lemon juice and pure maple syrup, these flourless muffins are a delicious spring snack that you won't feel guilty about!
- 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water (or 1 egg)
- ½ cup raw creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Juice (about 2 tbsp) and zest of half a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Stir together chia seeds and water to make chia "egg." Set aside to gel for a few minutes.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor, adding chia egg last. Blend to combine. You may need to use a spatula to fully incorporate the almond butter and to get all the batter into the muffin tin.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin tin, filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until muffins are set.
- Store in the refrigerator.