Thick and creamy Vegetable Pasta Soup-- a super easy and nourishing meal on the table in 25 minutes! Dairy free. This post is sponsored by Barilla.
It's a pasta soup party and you're all invited! Pasta, meet soup. Soup, meet pasta. How have you not met before?!
Filling, cozy, hearty, and guaranteed to make your weekday lunch or dinner sitch just a wee bit brighter.
How to make vegetable pasta soup
- Soak cashews. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add spices.
- Add frozen vegetables and broth. Bring broth and vegetables to a boil and add pasta. Cook until pasta is al dente.
- Blend cashews and water. Stir cashew cream into soup with soy sauce. Season to taste and DEVOUR!
Which pasta to use
Have you tried Barilla Chickpea Rotini yet? Baby Max and I are both obsessed with this chickpea pasta! I love that the only ingredient is chickpeas. Gluten free pasta has gotten so much more exciting.
Barilla does it again...bringing the absolute highest quality pasta with the best possible ingredients to the table. They even have researchers that ensure every pasta shape cooks up perfectly al dente! How cool is that?
I love that pasta, a traditional staple of the Mediterranean diet, serves as the perfect canvas for nutrient-rich veggies, lean proteins and healthy oils. Whether it's soup, salad, or a main dish, chickpea pasta is an amazing nutritious foundation to build on!
If you're looking for a more filling pasta option that can also stand on its own with some olive oil and a pinch of salt, look no further. One serving of Barilla Chickpea Rotini boasts 11 grams of protein (11% Daily Value (DV)) and 8 grams of fiber (29% DV). Pasta bliss, people!
Key ingredients and tips
- Pasta: My go-to is Barilla Chickpea Rotini cooked al dente because the box makes the perfect amount for this soup and it's packed with plant protein. Even Jeff agreed this soup counts as a meal...LOL.
- Cashews: Raw cashews make the base of this soup. All the creaminess sans dairy!
- Onion + garlic: Aromatics for a flavorful soup base. Shallot or leeks would also be nice.
- Dried herbs: Oregano, thyme, and a pinch of rosemary for the coziest soup.
- Mixed vegetables: I used a bag of frozen peas, carrots, green beans and corn because it makes this soup come together extra fast. Feel free to use two cups of fresh veggies if you have those on hand! A package of mushrooms would also be amazing here.
- Vegetable broth: Another layer of flavor. Use store bought or make your own!
- Soy sauce: For extra umami flavor. YUM.
To get all the ingredients you need to recreate this recipe at home, click here!
More amazing pasta recipes
- Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Pasta
- Baked Spaghetti Cups
- Healthy Spinach and Artichoke Alfredo Pasta
- Healthy Southwestern Pasta Salad
Creamy Vegetable Pasta Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Oh so comforting thick and creamy Vegetable Pasta Soup-- a super easy and nourishing meal on the table in 25 minutes! Dairy free.
- 1 8.8oz box Barilla Chickpea Rotini
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 12oz frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, peas, green beans, corn)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (sub tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, or to taste + freshly ground black pepper
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to soak.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic, oregano, rosemary, and thyme and cook for another minute.
- Add frozen vegetables and broth. Bring broth and vegetables to a boil and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and boil uncovered for about 8 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
- Remove pot from heat. Drain and rinse cashews. Add to a high speed blender with 1 ½ cups water and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Blend until completely smooth and creamy. Stir into soup along with salt and pepper to taste. The soup will continue to thicken as it sits.
VEGGIES: If you want to use fresh vegetables, you can substitute 2 cups total of carrot, celery, green beans, peas, etc.
Keywords: vegetable chowder, creamy vegetable soup
If dealing with nut allergies, is there a substitute that can be used instead of cashews?
Alexis Joseph says
I haven't tested this recipe with full fat coconut milk, which would be my best guess, sorry about that!
This was delicious and my 1 and 4 year old loved it as well. Super easy to make. Our family is not vegan, but it was a nice change and to try something new. Had most of the ingredients at our house.
Alexis Joseph says
OMG yay! Thanks so much, Cassie. How fun that the kiddos loved it, too! You totally don't have to be vegan to love this!
Danielle Demming says
This recipe is AMAZING. You have to try it! It seems so simple, but it packs SO much flavor! Thank you for another delicious recipe!!
This was perfect timing for my post Christmas cold, it was easy and tasty. Thanks!
Jenn K says
Very delicious. The soy sauce addition to the cashew cream brings all the flavors together. Can't wait to make this again!
Alexis Joseph says
Yay! Soy sauce is my secret umami weapon 🙂 Thanks, Jenn!
A great meal and so easy!! My whole family enjoys for dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day😍
Eileen joseph says
The most perfect soup for these rainy December days. Lunch awaits!🥣
Alexis Joseph says