Errrmmm chia seeds are fah-reaky deeky. And chia pudding is even freakier. But I'll totally eat yours if you don't want it.
Surely you're aware that chia seeds are all the rage right now. They're the most popular seed on the block. I mean everyone's doing it. Smoothies, oatmeal, cookies, jelly, pancakes, veggie burgers, shampoo...I mean they put that shiz on everything! It's the new hot sauce. Can't blame 'em, though. Chia is bursting with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, bone-building calcium and filling fiber. They're like little sponge monkeys that hop around your bod going bananas over all the cholesterol they're about to soak up. I'm quite surprised that no one has ground (I originally typed "grinded") those suckers to a paste, spread it on toast and called it chia butter.
It's a revolution.
I posted this recipe a year ago but the pics were downright fugly and the recipe needing a little sprucing up. Story of my life. Hashtag I need new blog material.
Chia pudding has a lot of haterz. It's gelatinous. It's gooey. It gets stuck in your teeth. Are you excited for the recipe yet?!
You love it or you hate it. It goes in that category with mayo, mustard, olives, pickles, mushrooms and oysters. Maybe you'd eat all those if I blended them up into chia pudding.
I like to sweeten mine naturally with my fave big, juicy Medjool dates from Trader Joe's plus a bit of maple syrup for good measure. Add some fresh strawbs and cocoa powder and lookie here! You've got yourself what you thought was a chocolate covered strawberry but what's actually a super filling, healthy shmealthy snack.
Cheers to sponge monkeys!Print
A deliciously filling and secretly healthy "pudding" made with high-fiber chia seeds, cocoa powder and strawberries.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 12 strawberries
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 pitted Medjool dates (or use 1 more tbsp maple syrup)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- Combine almond milk, 8 of the strawberries, cocoa powder, maple syrup, dates and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a glass jar or container. Chop remaining 4 strawberries and add to mixture along with the chia seeds and chocolate chips. Stir well to combine.
- Allow pudding to thicken overnight in the fridge (or for at least 6 hours) prior to serving.