Easy and filling 20-minute Chickpea Tuna Salad packed with fresh veggies and the best Italian dressing for the ultimate healthy lunch.
We're doin' lunch RIGHT today, hunnies!
Just like my chocolate chip zucchini bread baked oatmeal, we're squeezing the most out of summer produce while we still can. Cucumbers, tomatoes, and chickpeas oh my! Healthy chickpea tuna salad is here to stay.
Because your lunch sitch deserves to be so much more than a frozen burrito (hi, that's me). And least on Monday?!
I'm obsessed with my beloved tuna salad recipe.
But have you ever combined chickpeas and tuna? It's dreamy. I'm bought in. I first got the idea from my girl Jamie and ever since, I've been wanting to create my own masterpiece out of all the wondrous summer veg we've got going on. Pair it with the best Italian dressing in all the land and we're in business.
There's nothing quite like a hearty salad for lunch that comes together in a snap. That you can pull right outta the fridge and munch on. That gets better with age. That you don't have to turn on the oven for!
While I'm obsessed with tuna in this recipe, it would actually work totally find without the tuna, too. Just swap in your veggie of the moment or bump up the chickpeas. Easy!
Ingredients and tips
- Chickpeas: drained and rinsed, please! White beans would work just fine here, too.
- Tuna: I love Wild Planet's sustainable tuna, which you can find at Costco or regular grocery stores. If you're feeling veg, you could leave out the tuna!
- Cucumber: I love English cucumber for refreshing crunch. Mini Persian cukes would also be great here.
- Tomatoes: Sweet, juicy summer tomaters. Like candy, I tell ya! Love the color they add.
- Red onion: Not required, but I'm always on team onion. Green onion works as well.
- Kalamata olives: Optional, but when salty briny things are a possibility, I'm always on board.
- Parsley: Herbs all day, that's my way. I've got a parsley plant growing outside and it's pretty fab being able to throw it in all the things.
- Italian dressing: To tie the whole thing up with a flavor bomb bow. A store bought Italian would work just fine, too. Not a bad idea to make a full batch and save the rest for weeknight salads, either! It lasts for weeks.
- Add-ins: Marinated feta cheese or crunchy nuts? I'm not opposed!
Let's talk tuna!
So many choices, so little time. I love Wild Planet albacore tuna, which we buy in 5-packs at Costco. Why, you ask? Because it’s pole and line caught in the northern Pacific Ocean or off coastal New Zealand, maintaining natural fish populations and preserving the local oceanic habitats.
It contains no added oil, water, or fillers. Hip hip hooray!
Safe Catch is another splendid choice, which has the lowest mercury of any brand.
This salad will last up to five days in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Add a squeeze of lemon just before serving if ya like to wake up all the snoozy flavors!
More salads to go crazy over
- Mediterranean Chickpea and Farro Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Brussels Sprout Kale Caesar Salad
Hurry hurry before the tomatoes taste like NOTHIN'!Print
Easy and filling Chickpea Tuna Salad packed with fresh veggies, herbs, and the best Italian dressing for the ultimate healthy lunch! Done in 20 minutes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 5-ounce can tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, halved (can sub capers)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ batch Italian Dressing
- Place chickpeas, flaked tuna, cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Make dressing and pour over salad. Toss to combine and enjoy!
Photos by The Nutritious Kitchen.